Here to help with energy and utility costs

Local help with utility costs and debt

You can get help if you cannot pay to heat and power your home.  You can also get help if you are struggling with fuel and water debt:

  • people with pre-payment meters can request a fuel voucher (gas and electric). They are available from national charity Fuelbank Foundation via Citizens Advice Wirral, Involve Northwest and Energy Projects Plus. Vouchers can also be requested via Wirral Council’s Emergency Financial Support Scheme.
  • people who pay by Direct Debit can apply for help towards their fuel and water costs. This will be paid directly to their utility provider following an assessment and referral by Citizens Advice Wirral.
  • people struggling with fuel and water debt can request help to clear or reduce their debt from Citizens Advice Wirral and Energy Projects Plus 
  • people in crisis situations who are unable to repair or replace broken or obsolete heating and do not qualify for help under other programmes can apply to local charity Energy Projects Plus for help under the Crisis Support with heating scheme


  • Visit Citizens Advice Wirral's website or call 0808 278 7848
  • Visit Energy Projects Plus website or call 0800 043 0151
  • Involve Northwest: Call 0151 644 4516 or refer via email:
  • Winter Warmer Packs: Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS):
    Wirral’s Household Support Fund is helping MFRS to provide Winter Warmer Packs to vulnerable people in Wirral. Although recipients will be identified by MFRS, referrals can be made if a vulnerable household is known. Please email for a copy of the referral form

National help with utility costs and debt

Help with cheaper broadband and phone packages (Ofcom):

  • Cheaper broadband and phone packages are available for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. They are delivered in the same way as normal packages, but at a lower price. Visit Ofcom for further information.
  • You can get an automatic discount from your energy supplier to help with your energy bills over winter 2022 to 2023. This is called the Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS). Visit GOV.UK for more information. There is no need to apply, energy suppliers will pay the grant over six months with payments starting from October 2022, to ensure households receive financial support. 
  • Help with your energy bills on GOV.UK