Birkenhead Reference Library holds a wealth of resources on local and family history.
A range of resources are also available at the Wirral Archives Service.
Resources available at Birkenhead Library
Obituaries from 1880 to 1896 and 2010 to 2013 are available to view at Birkenhead Reference Library. Make a note of the year you require from the list below, there is a 85p charge to use the reader and a 85p charge for any prints.
A large collection of photographs (many are in digital format) are available at Birkenhead Reference Library to view and purchase. New additions to our collection are welcome, we are able to scan and return the originals.
Wirral Remembers 1914 to 2014
Birkenhead History Society newsletter
Issues available from 1974 to present.
Camden series (Royal Historical Society)
- third series (1900 to 1963).
- fourth series (1969 to 1993).
- fifth series (1993 to present).
Hard copies of the indices are available at Birkenhead Reference Library.
The Chetham Society
- old series (1843 to 1883)
- new series (1883 to 1947)
- third series (1949 to present)
Indices are available at Birkenhead Reference Library.
Magazines and journals
- the Cheshire Ancestor - journal of the Family History Society of Cheshire (1987 to present)
- Family Tree Magazine. Issues available from 1997 to June 2010.
- Your Family Tree. Issues available from 2011 onwards
- Genealogists’ Magazine - journal of the Society of Genealogists. Back issues kept for a year, local articles kept permanently
- Lancashire Parish Register Society. Hard copy index available for Wirral articles. View the full index online
- The Local Historian - journal of the British Association for Local History. Back issues held for a year, local articles kept permanently
- Local History News - magazine of the British Association for Local History. Back issues kept for a year, local articles kept permanently
- Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire. View the index online
- Recusant History - journal of the Catholic Record Society
- Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire