Submit an application or contact us by:
- online submission using one of the online portal available, ie NLIS, TM
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- enquiry: 0151 691 8454
- select: Make a payment
- select ‘Pay online by card’
- select ‘Other Payments’
- select ‘Land Charges’
- in 'reference' please insert, "Land Charges and address of search address"
Alternatively, you can also pay by credit or debit card by ringing 0151 691 8454
Private Search Companies
Subject to further government guidance, a self-service facility is being maintained at the South Annexe, Wallasey Town Hall , Brighton Street, Wallasey CH44 8ED.
To carry out a personal inspection of the Land Charges Register, free of charge, you will need to book an appointment by calling 0151 691 8454 and you will be provided with a suitably convenient booking slot sometime during the following revised opening times,
- Monday 9:30am to 12:30pm
- Wednesday 9:30am to 12:30pm
- Friday 9:30am to 12:30pm
Land charges search requests
When buying a property or piece of land, your solicitor will submit a local land charges search request. A local search protects the purchaser against unknowingly inheriting land charges, prohibitions held against the property or land and will warn of impending proposals so you are aware of any charges or responsibilities you will be taking on when you exchange contracts.
The word 'charge' can mean any outstanding financial claim, any restrictions, decisions or information which may affect a particular property or parcel of land.
There are two types of searches which can be performed. They are:
- official local authority search
- personal search
Official local authority search
The council will investigate and bring all the information together in the form of a local authority search. The information is collected from different council departments including planning and building control, environmental services and highways services.
All our searches are carried out using the latest Geographic Information Systems, ensuring turnaround times are kept to an absolute minimum (usually within two working days). If a search is marked ‘URGENT’ we will make every effort to return it the same day at no extra cost.
Some solicitors use personal agencies that inspect public registers and consult other areas of information to provide their own search responses. The council cannot guarantee responses given by personal agency searches.
There are two types of search report forms:
This consists of a search of the Land Charges Register. It reveals if there are any outstanding charges where money is owed to the council when work has been carried out on the property or land.
Other charges include tree preservation orders, renovation grants, conservation and listed buildings, road agreements, conditional planning applications and enforcement notices.
Forms Con29 and Con29O
This questionnaire takes the form of two parts and the information comes from various council departments.
- Con29 contains standard questions revealing any road proposals or schemes, public paths, compulsory purchase orders, enforcement actions, building regulations or planning applications and formal or informal notices
- Con29O contains optional enquiries such as noise abatement orders and pollution notices
Searching for Building Control applications online
The PDF file above may not be suitable to view for people with disabilities, users of assistive technology or mobile phone devices.
|Fees from 1 April 2019|
|Full search (LLC1 + CON29)||£104.20 (including VAT)|
|Extra parcel of land||£12.24 (including VAT)|
|Short search (LLC1 only)||£22.50|
|CON29 (Official Search)||£81.70 (including VAT)|
|Con29 Individual Questions|
|CON29O Individual Questions|
|Enquirer's own questions||To be agreed with Land Charges team dependent on the complexity of the enquiry and our estimate of the time required to answer it.|
|Personal search of local land charges register||Free of charge|
|Personal search of CON29 data|
The price of a full search includes one free refresh search within six months of the date of the search. The original search must be returned with the application.
Submitting a search
All official searches must be accompanied by appropriate Law Society compliant forms. Your solicitor should have these forms or you can buy them from legal stationers.
Both the LLC1 and CON29 forms should be submitted at the same time if answers to both are required.
Please note that searches must include the following when submitted to be accepted for processing:
- the correct fee (see above list of fees)
- solicitors or clients’ own cheques are accepted and are to be made out with the correct amount to Wirral Council
- plans should be submitted in duplicate with the search area edged red. The plan, preferably at a scale of 1:1250 should have sufficient detail to enable land Charges staff to accurately locate the search area
- if the property is on a new development we may require a developer’s plan showing the position of the building plots and the location of the site in relation to the surrounding area
Wallasey Town Hall (South Annexe), Brighton Street, Wallasey CH44 8ED
To carry out a personal inspection of the Land Charges Register, free of charge, you will need to book an appointment by email: email@example.com
Alternatively by telephone on 0151 691 8256 during office hours Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
We regret we are unable to answer questions about who owns a property. However it is possible to enquire of HM Land Registry at:
Woodside Ferry Approach
Tel: 0300 006 0411
Opening hours: 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday