You can log in or register for an online account to apply for a Council Tax discount. You can also apply without signing up for an account. To do this click on 'Continue without registering' after you have clicked on 'Apply for a Council Tax discount' below.

Apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption

Please include your Council Tax reference number, which can be found on your bill.

Cancel a Council Tax discount or exemption

Single person discount

Your full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property. If only one adult lives in the property (as their main home), the Council Tax is reduced by 25 per cent.

Single person discount review

Wirral Council is carrying out a review of all Council Tax customers who are currently in receipt of a Single Person Discount (25%). The purpose of the review is to make sure that the Single Person Discount’s we have awarded are valid, and our information is up to date.

We periodically carry out a review to make sure that Single Person Discounts are only awarded to those who are entitled and that we remove those that are no longer valid.

Northgate Public Services in partnership with Wirral Council are undertaking this review.

It also allows customers to report to any changes in their circumstances - recent or otherwise, for example a son or daughter has turned 18 years of age or someone has since joined your household.

Although you may no longer be eligible for a Single Person Discount, you may meet the criteria for a Disregard Discount, details of the categories are found on the declaration form, including how to apply.

Whatever your status, we request that you complete the declaration which is sent to you.

You must still reply, even if you receive Council Tax Support, or have informed us of your circumstances recently. 

The quickest and most convenient way to make your declaration is to go online to and enter the code reference number quoted on the letter. Alternative ways to complete your declaration by phone on 0151 386 0030, or post your response to the address shown on the review letter.

If you do not reply, we may cancel your discount from the date it was last checked, which may result in you having to pay back any unpaid Council Tax.

View further common questions about the Single Person Discount Review

Discounts for people who aren't counted

The following people aren't counted when working out the number of adults who live in your home. If any of the following live in your home your bill may be reduced:  

  • full time students
  • student nurses
  • apprentices earning no more than £195 per week
  • young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
  • foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • live in carers who look after someone who isn’t their partner, spouse or child
  • diplomats
  • people who are severely mentally impaired (subject to qualifying criteria below)

Full list of discounts for people who aren’t counted

Care leavers discount

If you have been in the care of Wirral Council  (for instance you lived in a care home or were fostered) and are leaving care, you may be entitled to a reduction in Council Tax until you reach the age of 25. The amount of reduction you're entitled to may be up to 100% depending on the number of people who live with you.

The reduction will apply from 1 April 2018 or whenever you became liable to pay Council Tax if after this date.

Disabled band reduction scheme

If there is a room or other extra space in your property that is needed by a disabled occupant, the disabled band reduction scheme may help you to get a reduction in your Council Tax. The reduction works out as being the next level down in the Council Tax band.

You may qualify for a reduction if your home has certain features which are essential, or of major importance, to the well-being of a person with a disability.

This person can be an adult or a child but must be resident in the property.

Council Tax Support

You may be able to get help with paying your Council Tax if your are on a low income. This is called Council Tax Support.

Find out more about Council Tax Support

Council Tax exemptions

Find out if your property is exempt from Council Tax.