The Council Tax Support scheme helps people towards the cost of their Council Tax bill.
The figures set out in the Council Tax Support Scheme have been uprated, to take effect from 1 April 2020.
The amount of uprating has been determined by Wirral Council and link as closely to other welfare benefit changes or may be linked to the consumer price index, of inflation set in the preceding September or by another rate determined with reference to provisions made for Universal Credit.
From 1 April 2019, an additional provision was made to enable backdating in exceptional circumstances for a maximum period of 3 months.
Who can get Council Tax Support?
To qualify for Council Tax Support you must be:
- on a low income
- the person responsible for paying the Council Tax
If you are receiving Universal Credit and you need help to pay your Council Tax, we will use your Universal Credit award notice to work out how much Council Tax Support you may be entitled to.
Council Tax Support is calculated by looking at you and your partner’s income, savings and household circumstances.
Proof you will need when you apply for Council Tax Support
When you apply for Council Support you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are eligible.
Alternatively, fill in the form below and take it to a One Stop Shop in Wirral.
How much am I entitled to?
The maximum amount of Council Tax Support that you can receive is:
- up to 88% of your Council Tax liability for working age people
- up to 100% of your Council Tax liability for people who have reached pensionable age and certain vulnerable groups
The amount of support you will get is worked out by looking at:
- how much money you have coming in
- you and your partner’s personal circumstances and those of your household
- the amount of Council Tax you have to pay
- the amount of savings and capital you have
You will not be able to claim Council Tax Support if:
- you and your partner are of working age, not classed as vulnerable and have savings or capital over £6,000 or
- you’ve reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit and you and your partner have savings or capital over £16,000 unless you receive Guaranteed Pension Credit
Use the benefit calculator for an estimation of how much you may be entitled to.
Change in circumstances
Appeal against a Council Tax Support decision
If you disagree with a decision about Council Tax Support you can appeal.
Help managing money and debt
Citizens Advice Wirral can offer help and advice if you are having difficulty paying bills or struggling with other debts.