The Council Tax Support scheme helps people towards the cost of their Council Tax bill.

Who can get Council Tax Support?

To qualify for Council Tax Support you must be:

  • on a low income
  • the person responsible for paying the Council Tax

Council Tax Support is calculated by looking at you and your partner’s income, savings and household circumstances.

Proof you will need when you apply for Council Tax Support

When you apply for Council Support you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are eligible.

Find out what proof you need to provide

Apply for Council Tax Support

How much am I entitled to?

The maximum amount of Council Tax Support that you can receive is:

  • up to 78% of your Council Tax liability for working age people
  • up to 100% of your Council Tax liability for people who have reached pensionable age and certain vulnerable groups

The amount of support you will get is worked out by looking at:

  • how much money you have coming in
  • you and your partner’s personal circumstances and those of your household
  • the amount of Council Tax you have to pay
  • the amount of savings and capital you have

You will not be able to claim Council Tax Support if:

  • you and your partner are of working age, not classed as vulnerable and have savings or capital over £6,000 or
  • you’ve reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit and you and your partner have savings or capital over £16,000 unless you receive Guaranteed Pension Credit

Benefit calculator

Use the benefit calculator for an estimation of how much you may be entitled to.

Change in circumstances

You must tell us if you have a change in your circumstances.

Appeal against a Council Tax Support decision

If you disagree with a decision about Council Tax Support you can appeal.

Appeal against a decision

Further information

Help managing money and debt

Citizens Advice Wirral can offer help and advice if you are having difficulty paying bills or struggling with other debts.