Changes to garden waste collections

Brown garden waste bin collections will be every four weeks, instead of every fortnight, until further notice.

This is due to staff absence with COVID-19. There aren’t enough people to collect the brown bins on the normal fortnightly rounds.

This temporary arrangement is to ensure we can still collect green (general waste) and grey (recycling) bins.

Collections will be made on the same day of the week, but some residents will have their brown bin collected on a different date. You can find out your next collection date below.

If you are a subscriber to the garden waste collection service, you will not miss out on any collections that you have paid for because of this. Any collections postponed will be added to your existing subscription period once collections return to fortnightly.

Updates on bin collections will be published on this website. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.


Subscriptions for garden waste collections

Subscriptions for garden waste collections are suspended until the normal service resumes. You can dispose of garden waste in the following ways:

  • using a compost bin
  • in your green general waste bin
  • at our local waste recycling centre

Items allowed in your brown bin

  • grass mowings
  • hedge cuttings
  • pruning
  • leaves
  • weeds
  • dead flowers
  • Christmas trees; real trees only, and please chop up to ensure it fits in your bin

Please ensure all of your garden waste fits inside your bin.  Chop up hedge cuttings and pruning if necessary.

Learn how to keep your wheelie bin clean

How to put your bin out

Please remember the following to make sure we are able to collect your bin:

  • put your bin out at the usual collection point by 7am on the scheduled day
  • don’t over fill your brown bin; the lid must be closed to stop garden waste spilling out
  • make sure your bin isn’t too heavy; it won’t be able to be emptied as the lifting equipment has a weight limit
  • don’t squash the waste down; it could get stuck in the bin or make the bin too heavy. Both will mean that your bin isn’t emptied.
  • if all your garden waste doesn’t fit in the bin, please store the excess until your next collection
  • don’t put bags of garden waste in or next to the bin. We can’t collect bagged garden waste as it can’t be reprocessed.

How else can I get rid of garden waste?

You can use garden waste to make compost at home. For composting advice visit the Recycling Now website.

You can also take garden waste to your local rubbish tip free of charge. Please check the MRWA website or their Twitter feeds @MerseysideRWA and @GoRecycleRight for updates on availability, restrictions and opening times.

How will the waste collectors know I have subscribed to the service?

Collection vehicles will have an electronic record of residents who have subscribed. You will also receive a permit, which should be fixed to your bin. Please keep your current permit on the bin.

Change of address

If you move house please tell us by using the change of address form. Refunds cannot be issued if you move out of the area.

Report a change of address

Can I get a refund if I cancel my subscription?

You have a right to cancel this service and obtain a full refund within 14 days of your subscription date. If you have received a collection within this period then a refund will not apply.

Request a refund

Missed collections

Due to staff shortages brown bins will be collected once every four weeks until further notice. Collection dates will change for some residents. Please do not report a missed bin collection until you have checked your collection date using the search tool above.

If your bin is not collected on the scheduled day, please do not report a missed collection until after 5.00pm.

Report a missed brown bin collection