Contact your child's school to sign up to the school's free online system to claim free school meals. You will also need to contact the school if you no longer require free school meals.
I’ve lost my job – will my child be eligible for free school meals?
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If you think you may now be entitled to means tested free school meals for your children, you need to contact your child’s school. They will help you but need information from you, such as your national insurance number, to do this. Get in touch with your child's school.
I’ve been furloughed and my income has fallen – might I be entitled now?
Get in touch with your child’s school.
If you are not entitled now, once the school has the relevant details from you and enters it into the system, you will automatically be notified if you become entitled to means tested free school meals. In the meantime, there are other sources of support available to you in the community.
Please visit wirral.gov.uk/foodhelp for information on accessing help with food or call the Council Coronavirus helpline on 0151 666 5050, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Schools - check which pupils have free school meals
The Ed Bens Connect system allows schools to see which of their pupils have been awarded free school meals. The system is completely secure and schools can only view data about their own pupils. You can register as a user of Ed Bens Connect on this website.
Help with the cost of school uniforms
There is no uniform grant in Wirral as the council does not compel uniforms in schools.
Some schools will have free or low-cost uniform schemes. Wirral FUSS
collects and distributes recycled uniforms free of charge to anyone who needs them.