Primary Education - Information for Parents 2022/2023

Primary schools in Wirral cater for children aged between 5 and 11, but in some areas there are separate infant and junior schools and children transfer at the age of 7. Some primary schools also have nursery classes and can take children from the age of 3 (that is, the term after a child’s third birthday).

All primary schools in Wirral are listed below.

Pre-school education

Nursery schools and classes

Wirral has three Early Years Centres – Somerville Nursery School, Ganneys Meadow Early Years and Leasowe Early Years. Ganneys Meadow and Leasowe Early Years are also Children’s Centres. There are also 46 nursery classes attached to primary schools. Details of the Early Years Centres is given in the schools list at the back of this booklet. Primary schools with a nursery class are marked with an asterisk (*).

If you want your child to go to an Early Years Centre or nursery class, please contact the headteacher. Your child will normally be offered five part-time sessions. He or she will start in the term after your child’s third
birthday. Some centres offer extended sessions, which you must pay for.

Important – If your child has a place in a nursery class in a school, this does not mean that they will automatically get a place in the Foundation 2 class. Nursery classes take pupils from a wider area than the school zone or the parish area for voluntary-aided schools.

Our admissions policy for Early Years Centres and nursery classes in community and voluntary-controlled schools is as follows:

  • If there are enough places available, your child will be offered a place in the centre or class of your choice.
  • If there are not enough places available in a school for all the children who have applied, the school’s governing body will decide which children to accept in line with the following guidelines:


  • The school’s governing body will give priority to children who will become four during the coming academic year 2022/2023.
  • If there are more of those children than there are places available, they will then give priority to children with a particular medical reason for going to their school. This is important if the school has special facilities, for example if the school has special equipment for a child with a physical or sensory disability.
  • If there are still too many children eligible for the school, the governing body will reject the applications from parents who live in the catchment area of another school with a nursery class.
  • If there are then enough places for the remaining children, they will offer all the children places.
  • But if not, they will offer places first to the children who live nearest to the school (the distance from home to school is measured by the shortest available walking route).
  • Finally, if there are any places left, the governing body will offer them to children living in the catchment area of another school who live nearest to the school. Some schools may have a different policy. Please contact the school you are interested in.


If there are places left after all the four-year-olds have been offered a place, the governing body will offer a place to children who become three during the academic year 2022/2023 based on the following priorities.

  • Children with special educational needs which have been identified through a statutory assessment.
  • Children whose parents receive Income Support, Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Working Tax Credit.
  • Children whose birthday falls between 1 September and 31 December.
  • Children whose birthday falls between 1 January and 31 March.
  • Children whose birthday falls between 1 April and 31 August.

If the priorities have to be decided within any category, the governing body will always give priority to the children who live nearest measured by the shortest available walking route.

Childcare funding


Some two-year-olds who live in Wirral may be eligible to receive 15 hours per week free (570 hours per year) childcare from the term after their second birthday. Research shows that alongside parenting, high quality part time Early Years Education helps give children of this age a great start and a solid foundation for the future.

The funding can be used in certain approved day nurseries and preschools or with a Network childminder. Two-year-old children may be eligible for a part-time free childcare place if the household:

  • Has an income of no more than £16,190 and claiming working tax credits or child tax credits.
  • Claims Income Support, income based Job Seekers
  • Allowance or income related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Receives State Pension (Guarantee Credit)
  • Receives support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act (1999).

Or if the child:

  • has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or has an Education, Health and Care Plan.
  • receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (in their own right).
  • is a looked after child or has left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order.

How to apply

Two months before the child’s second birthday, either the parent/carer or a professional working with the family can submit an online application.

You will need to know your National Insurance number in order to apply. If the application is successful, as part of the Early Years Provision for Two-Year-Olds the family will receive a home visit from the Children's Centre Team.

Three and Four-year-olds

Will I qualify for 30 hours free childcare?

From September 2017 the government will be providing 30 hours free childcare for working parents of three and four-year-olds. The additional 15 hours free entitlement on top of the existing universal provision of 15 hours is to support working families or families entering work who meet a government set criteria.

Parents of three and four-year-olds will need to meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for 30 hours free childcare:

  • They earn or expect to earn the equivalent to 16 hours at National Minimum or Living Wage over the coming three months.
  • This equates to £120 a week (or c.£6,000 a year) for each parent over 25 years old or £112.80 a week (or c.£5,800 a year) for each parent between 21 and 24 years old and £56 a week for apprentices in their first year.
  • This applies whether you are in paid employment, self-employed or on zero hours contract.
  • The parent (and their partner where applicable) should be seeking the free childcare to enable them to work.
  • Where one or both parents are on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, or if they are on statutory sick leave.
  • Where one parent meets the income criteria and the other is unable to work because they are disabled, have caring responsibilities or have been assessed as having limited capability to work.
  • Where a parent is in a ‘start-up period’ (i.e. they are newly self-employed) they do not need to demonstrate that they meet the income criteria for 12 months.
  • If one or both parents is a non-EEA national, the parent applying must have recourse to public funds.

A parent will not meet the criteria when

  • Either parent has an income of more than £100,000.
  • If one or both parents is a non-EEA national and the parent applying does not have recourse to public funds.

What happens if a parent loses eligibility?

  • They will receive a ‘grace period’ – this means they will be able to keep their childcare for a short period.
  • Once the ‘grace period’ has lapsed, the parent should be entitled to the universal 15-hour entitlement.

How to apply

Parents must apply for an eligibility code through the Childcare Choices website.

If a parent has any difficulties the help line number is 0300 123 4097.

Admission arrangements for Foundation 2 classes

The Local Authority co-ordinates the admission arrangements for all schools (except independent schools). It is essential that you read this information very carefully and in particular note the deadline date for applications. If you have any questions, you can talk to the headteacher of your local school.

You can only apply for school places from 1 September before your child starts Foundation 2 in September of the next academic year. This means that for admission to September 2022, you can apply from 1 September 2021 but not before.

Wirral residents must apply either online on the Wirral admissions website, or by sending the paper common application form to Wirral Local Authority.
You can give up to three preferences. It is always advisable to put more than one preference, including your zone school.

The online catchment area finder will help if you are not sure which is your zone school or you can contact the Council’s call centre on 0151 606 2000 for assistance.

Primary schools classification

There are several different types of primary school.

Community schools

Community schools are ‘non-denominational’ – in other words, they are not linked to a particular religion. The school’s governors are responsible for running the school but the Local Authority deal with the school’s admissions.

Voluntary-controlled schools and voluntary-aided schools

Voluntary schools are funded by the Local Authority but are linked to a particular religion (for example, Church of England or Catholic).

In Wirral there are 2 different types of voluntary school.

  • Voluntary-controlled schools have passed control of the school to the Local Authority but they have kept a connection with the Church of England. The school’s governors are responsible for running the school, but admission arrangements are the Local Authority’s responsibility.
  • The governors of Catholic and Church of England voluntary-aided schools are responsible both for running the school and for their own admission arrangements.

You can get more information about voluntary
schools from:


Academy schools

The governors of Academy schools are responsible both for running the school and for their own admission arrangements. For more information, contact the school. The Local Authority co-ordinates preferences for places
in Foundation 2 on behalf of the Academy schools.

Applications for places in the nursery class should be made directly to the Academy. The Local Authority co-ordinates preferences on behalf of all schools.

Catchment Area Finder

The catchment area finder is available online.

Enter your street name and the Catchment Area Finder will tell you which are your zoned schools (community and voluntary aided or controlled). It has links to the school’s website (if available) and the Ofsted website where you can read the school’s inspection report. If you don’t have access to the
internet, the Council’s call centre will be able to help you (0151 606 2000).

Preparing for school

Children settle most quickly into school if they have been prepared well beforehand. Starting school is an exciting time for parents, children and teachers. In Wirral, schools welcome new children in a planned way, with visits before term starts, booklets about the school and introduction evenings. You should take advantage of these opportunities to talk with teachers and headteachers and ask questions.

During the first term in school there are also many opportunities for you to talk to teachers about your child’s progress. Most children will have attended an early years setting, including pre-schools and playgroups, before going to “big school”. If your child has not already attended an early years setting, you may want to consider taking up some or all of your child’s free 15 hours a week nursery entitlement during Summer 2021. This will give your child an opportunity to learn and play with other children their own age before starting school in September.

Some schools may stage admissions over the first two weeks of the term to provide a gentle introduction to school, however the school must provide a full-time place from the first day if this is what you want.

Ofsted have produced a report on good practice for school readiness, which is available online.

Making an application

Applying online

Wirral’s online admission system can be accessed via our School Admissions webpage.

Applying online is quick and simple to do. You will receive an automatic email so that you know your application has been received by us. In April 2022, online applicants will receive an email with their child’s allocated place. The deadline for online applications to be submitted is 15 January 2022.

You can put up to three schools in the order of your preference. It is always recommended to put more than one school in your preferences, and include your zone school as one of your preferences.

If you want to give a preference for a school outside Wirral, you will need to include this as one of your preferences. The Mainstream Admissions team will tell other local authorities about parents’ preferences for schools in their area.

Applying on paper

If you cannot apply online, you can complete a paper application form. In April 2022 you will receive an allocation letter by post to your home address. The Mainstream Admissions team cannot send an allocation email to you unless you apply online.

You can get application forms from:

If you have applied on a paper form, the Mainstream Admissions team will acknowledge receipt of your application within 20 working days. If you have not received an acknowledgement after this time, please ring 0151 606 2000.

Note that the Mainstream Admissions team will not acknowledge paper form applications received after the deadline for paper applications which is 15 January 2022.

Whatever you do, apply on time!

Whether you apply online or use a paper form, you must return your application to the Children’s and Young People’s Department by 15 January 2022 at the latest to make sure that your child is offered a school place on
allocation day.

Important – If your child has a place in a nursery class in a school, this does not mean that they will automatically get a place in the Foundation 2 class and you must complete an application. Nursery classes take pupils from a wider area than the school zone or the parish area for voluntary-aided schools.

Offers of places to parents who applied by 15 January 2022 will be posted out on 19 April 2022. Online applicants will receive an email on that day. Late applications received after 15 January 2021 are only dealt with AFTER places have been offered to parents who have applied on time.

Applications must be received by 15 January 2022.

Community schools

Each community school has its own catchment area or zone. If your child lives in a school’s zone and you want them to go to that school, it is likely that a place will be offered there as long as you submit your application before 15 January 2022 and name your zoned school as one of your preferences. Parents are advised to always include their zoned school as one of their preferences in case they are unsuccessful with their application for an out of zone school.

However, a place in your catchment school cannot be absolutely guaranteed. For example a school with an admission number for Foundation 2 of 30 may have more than 30 applications from parents living within the catchment area. Places would only be able to be offered up to the admission number and not beyond.

Applications submitted by 15 January 2022 will be considered first and places allocated up to the admission number of the school and in accordance with the following criteria:

  • Looked After Children and previously Looked After Children as defined by the School Admissions Code 2021.
  • Parents of the children who live ‘in zone’ and already have older brothers or sisters (including half or step siblings living in the same household) at the school when they are due to start school. If there are more children with older brothers or sisters at the school than there are places available, we will give priority to children with the youngest brothers or sisters at the school. We will also treat a brother or sister at a corresponding junior school as a sibling. Where there is more than one applicant with a sibling in the same year group, priority will be given to those children who live nearest to the school.
  • Parents of the children who live ‘in zone’ and who live nearest to the school.

If children live outside the school’s catchment area and if places are still available, places will be allocated in accordance with the following criteria:

  • To children who already have older brothers or sisters (including half or step siblings living in the same household) at the school when they are due to start school. If there are more children with older brothers or sisters at the school than there are places available, we will give priority to children with the youngest brothers or sisters at the school. We will also treat a brother or sister at a corresponding junior school as a sibling. Where there is more than one applicant with a sibling in the same year group, priority will be given to those children who live nearest to the school.
  • To pupils who live nearest to the school. The Authority measures distances from the child’s home to the nearest school pedestrian gate using a computerised mapping system using the shortest road route, unless it is possible to use a footpath which the Authority considers to be a safe walking route. As a general guide we will treat routes with no pavements and no street lighting as unsafe for children.

Important – If your child has a place in a nursery class in a community school, this does not mean that they will automatically get a place in the Foundation 2 class.

Looked After Children (A Looked After Child is a child who is a) in the care of a local authority or b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services functions (under section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989)).

A previously Looked After Child is one who immediately moved on from that status after becoming subject to an adoption, child arrangement or special guardianship order, including those children who appear (to the admission authority) to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted or became subject to a child arrangements order or special guardianship order.

Voluntary-controlled schools

There are four voluntary controlled schools – Bidston Village CE, Holy Trinity CE (Hoylake), Millfields CE (Eastham) and St Bridget’s CE (West Kirby) which have their own catchment areas. The admissions criteria are the same as those for community schools.

Important – If your child has a place in a nursery class in a Controlled school, this does not mean that they will automatically get a place in the Foundation 2 class.

Voluntary-aided and Academy schools

Parents who want to apply for places at voluntary aided or academy schools should do so online or on the paper application form and return it to Wirral Local Authority before 15 January 2022. The governing body of the school may need more information so you must also fill in the school’s supplementary form, available from the school.

Each voluntary aided and academy school’s governing body is responsible for its own admissions based on the school’s published admissions policy. The Mainstream Admissions team will pass your details to the governing body of each school you have put down as a preference. The governing body will rank every application using their own criteria. This does not include what order you have put that school in your application, because schools are not allowed to use the order of parents preference in their admission criteria. They will not know whether you have put their school first, second or third.

Important – If your child has a place in a nursery class in an Aided or Academy school, this does not mean that they will automatically get a place in the Foundation 2 class.

Birkenhead High School Academy for Girls

If the number of applications exceeds the places available, Birkenhead High School Academy will rank applications using its own set of priorities. In brief, these are:

  • Looked After Children or previously Looked After Children


  • Girls who attend the Academy’s nursery
  • Girls with older sisters attending the school on 1 September of the year they start Foundation 2
  • Girls whose parent or parents are currently Teaching, Administrative, Support Staff at the Academy and have been employed for over two years

If more applicants meet the last three criteria than there are places, Foundation 2 places are then assigned in a random order. The Academy does not rank applications based on nearest distance to the school, or on order of preference. Full details are available from the school’s website and are detailed in the supplementary booklet available online or on request.

Phone: 0151 652 5777

Important information about preferences

Most school places are allocated on the basis of the home address of each child. This must be the child’s permanent home address, where he or she lives with a person of parental responsibility as the main carer (as defined by the Children Act 1989). You must not give the address of a business, relative, childminder, friend, a temporary address or an address to which you hope to move.

The home address must not be where parents have taken out a short term let on a property solely to use its address on the application form without any intention of taking up permanent residence there. We will require evidence that the previous property has been sold.

Arrangements where parents leave and collect children from another relative or carer on a daily basis will be regarded as childcare arrangements, and the child will not be deemed to be “ordinarily resident” with that person.

We can only process one application for each child; therefore it is important that both parties in shared custody arrangements are in agreement over the preferred school(s) named. Where a child spends equal time with both parents, the child’s main residence should be submitted as their home address. Failure to provide a definitive application could jeopardise your child’s priority for a school place.

We regularly check addresses and any deliberate misrepresentation will result in a place being withdrawn by the Authority. The LA acts on behalf of all Wirral admission authorities and reserves the right to request independent confirmation of the child’s place of residence, as felt appropriate.

We may have to share the information you have provided on your parental preference form with other departments of the Council in order to verify the authenticity of pupils’ addresses. This may include data held by Council Tax and/or Housing Benefit teams. The Council’s Fraud and Investigations team may be asked to review the information that has been provided. This may include interviewing and taking a signed statement from the applicant.

Wirral Council has the right to withdraw any place offered on the basis of a fraudulent or intentionally misleading application.

Wirral Council processes personal admissions data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the Schools Admissions Regulation 2012. The information you provide on your preference form will be used by Wirral Local Authority and Governing bodies of primary/secondary schools as Admission Authorities. They will apply the information to their published admission policies in order to allocate school places for children. Where necessary this information will be shared with various internal Council teams, and with external agencies, including other Local Authorities and Schools, the Department for Education, Office of the Schools Adjudicator, the Education Skills Funding Agency, the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman and the NHS Community Trust where required in relation to other legal, statutory or other regulatory obligations or requirements. In order to verify the authenticity of pupils’ addresses or income status this information may be shared with Council Tax and Housing Benefit teams. Information about your child may also be shared with Members of Parliament or Local Councillors, if you ask them to act on your behalf.

For further information please read the School Admissions Privacy Notice. If you have any questions or concerns about how your data is secured the Council’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted by email at or by writing to: Data Protection Officer, Treasury Building, Cleveland Street, Birkenhead, Wirral, CH41 1AH.

How Foundation 2 places are allocated

Every child is given a rank for every school preference – by the Authority for community and controlled schools, and by the governing bodies of Aided and Academy schools. The Local Authority co-ordinates the admissions process to all these schools.

If your child is eligible to be given a Foundation 2 place at more than one school, you will be offered a place at the school you have named as the highest preference.

Example 1:

Preference 1 School A 30 places Child’s rank 25
Preference 2 School B 60 places Child’s rank 34
Preference 3 School C 30 places Child’s rank 12

Allocated School A - This child is eligible for all three schools. In this case, this child would be offered School A, because it is the highest of the three preferences, even though they are ranked higher for School C.

Example 2:

Preference 1 School A 30 places Child’s rank 56
Preference 2 School B 60 places Child’s rank 34
Preference 3 School C 30 places Child’s rank 12

Allocated School B - This child is not eligible for School A (their first preference) as they are ranked outside the number of places available. They are eligible for both School B and School C, but would be allocated School B because it is a higher preference, even though they are ranked higher for School C.

It can happen that all the schools marked as a preference by a parent are oversubscribed (in other words, there are more applications than places available) and it is not possible to offer a child a place at any of them. If this happens, you will be given a place at the nearest appropriate school with a place available.

If you move house

If you have changed address after submitting your preferences, it is important to remember to tell us your new address by 28 February, otherwise you may not receive your allocation letter. Verified changes of address received by 28 February 2022 will be used in allocating places. Address changes received after that date will not be used in allocating places, but will be used to send your allocation letter. The Authority may ask you to provide proof of residence. Addresses are regularly checked and any deliberate misrepresentation will result in a place being withdrawn by the Authority. The Authority reserves the right to request independent confirmation of the child’s place of residence.

If you have applied online and have since changed your email address, you should update your online account with the new email address before 28 February 2022, otherwise you may not receive your allocation email.

Finding out more

You can find full details of all primary school admissions policies in the additional booklet ‘Admissions Policies – For all Primary schools 2022–2023’ available online, or on request via the Council’s Call Centre (0151 606 2000).

Applying for an out of zone school within Wirral

If you want to send your child to a school outside your catchment area (or parish for Aided schools) you will need to include it as a preference on your online or paper application and return it by 15 January 2022.

This kind of application cannot always be agreed. For example, if a school is already full, the Local Authority cannot allow the school to become overcrowded. The admission authority must also make sure that there are not more than 30 children in Foundation and Infant classes.

You are advised to always include your zoned school as one of your other preferences in case a place cannot be allocated at the out of zone school.

Sometimes there will be room in an out of zone school for some but not all of the children whose parents have asked for places.

Applying for a school outside Wirral

If you want your child to go to a school outside Wirral, you must include that school on your online application. If you complete a paper common application form, it must be sent to Wirral Local Authority as your home authority.

The Department will then pass your details to the other local Authority on your behalf and co-ordinate an offer of a place.

There are no arrangements for children to go to an independent school unless they have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which shows that they should go to that kind of school. The ‘Special Education’ section provides more information on this. If you want a place at an independent school you should approach the school directly.

Children who live outside Wirral

If you live in an English authority outside Wirral you can ask for a place for your child in a Wirral primary school by including the school as a preference on your application which must go directly to the Authority in which you live using their admissions procedures.

Your home Authority then will pass your details to Wirral Local Authority. Wirral Local Authority will offer places on the same basis as for out-of zone admissions, and will inform your Local Authority whether an offer can be made of a Foundation 2 place for your child. They will then contact you with the offer of a place according to their local arrangements.

If you live outside England (including Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) you can apply using the Wirral online admission system or ring 0151 606 2000 for a form.

Late applications

If you apply for a place in the Foundation 2 year group after 15 January 2022, your application will be treated as ‘late’. Your child will be offered a place at the school of your preference as long as:

  • All applicants who applied on-time before 15 January 2022 have been offered places or have accepted places at other schools.
  • The school has not already filled its places.
  • Your child’s admission would not bring the number in their class to above 30 (see Infant Class Sizes overleaf).

Late applications are considered after all applicants who applied before 15 January 2022 have been offered places or have accepted places at other schools. 

After the closing date for waiting list requests and the closing date for appeals to be lodged has passed, any available places will be re-allocated in accordance with the same order of priority as for the original allocation (see above) and the policy criteria for own admission authority schools, including any late applications received up to that point, as a “mini-allocation”.

After this, late applications and requests will be dealt with as they are received, including mandatory allocations where no preferred school can be allocated.

School places that become available after the mini-allocation takes place will be re-allocated on the basis of the order of priority as set out above, and the policy criteria for own admission authority schools, taking into account any late applications or place requests received up to the date the place is re-allocated.

Wherever possible a place will not be offered at a school more than two miles from your home unless you ask for this, or there is no school within two miles of your home with places available.

Details of any pupils who have named a voluntary aided school or an academy school as a preference will be sent to the governing body, and if there is a place available the governors will decide who should be offered places and inform Wirral Local Authority.

All offers of places will come in writing as soon as possible from Wirral Local Authority. Schools cannot make offers of places direct to parents.

Infant class sizes

Class sizes are limited to 30 for Foundation 2 (Reception) and Key Stage 1 (Infant) classes. Foundation 2 and Key Stage 1 classes must not have more than 30 children unless there are special circumstances. Classes which include children aged 5, 6 and 7 may go over 30 only in the following circumstances.

  • Looked After Children and previously Looked After Children as defined by the School Admissions Code 2021.
  • If a child receives a statement of special educational needs or EHCP (a document which described a child’s special educational needs following a formal assessment) during the academic year which names the school, or a child with a statement or EHCP naming that school moves into the area.
  • If a child moves into the area during the academic year and there is no other suitable school within 2 miles of their home.
  • If a child with a statement of special educational needs or EHCP in a special needs unit joins the mainstream class for limited periods as part of the Individual Education Plan.
  • If an admissions authority has made a mistake when offering a child a school place. The admissions authority will not withdraw that place unless the parent has provided incorrect information on their application.
  • A child is admitted by an Independent Appeal Panel.
  • A child of UK Service personnel moves into the area.
  • Children from multiple births where their sibling was the last child offered a place.

Deferred entry and part-time places

Parents should note that if a summer born child delays entry to the September after their fifth birthday, the child will ordinarily be expected to enter Year 1, not Foundation 2.

Child’s age 5 - Birthday between First term of compulsory education
1 January and 31 March Summer term (April)
1 April and 31 August Autumn term (September)
1 September and 31 December Spring term (January)

Parents of children born between 1 April and 31 August who wish to delay their child’s entry to September, but are intending to request their child enters Foundation 2 rather than Year 1 are advised to apply as usual and to contact Wirral Council in writing prior to 15 January to discuss options ( These requests will be considered on the circumstances of each individual case and will require agreement from the allocated school.

If agreed, deferred entry to Foundation 2 for a full year does not guarantee a place in any school. The child will then be in the year below their chronological age for the rest of their school career, including Key Stage assessments and selective tests for grammar schools. Parents must re-apply by 15th January of the following year and the application will be considered alongside the entry cohort according to the protocols and criteria in place at that time.

Waiting lists and appeals

Appeals against admission decisions

If you are not satisfied with the school offered to your child, you can appeal. Appeals are heard by an independent appeal panel. The appeal panel’s decision is final and cannot be changed by the Corporate Director for Children, or in the case of an aided or academy school, by the governors.

You can get more details of the appeals procedure from the Admissions Portal on our website or from The Clerk to the Independent Appeals Panel:

Phone: 0151 606 2000

Waiting lists

Once all the appeals for Foundation 2 places have been heard during the summer term the Mainstream Admissions team will write to parents who have not been successful at appeal and invite them to join the waiting list for their preferred school.

If places become available at schools between then and the end of the Summer Term, they will be allocated to children whose parents have either appealed or who have expressed a continuing interest in a place at the school concerned. They will be offered to children following the same criteria as when places were originally offered. The Department will take into account any significant change of circumstances put forward by you since the original preference form was completed. If places become available during the Autumn Term they will be allocated by the Local Authority from the waiting list with priority given in accordance with the criteria used for the initial allocation. The waiting list will be kept until the end of the autumn term, December 2022.

Timetable for admission to school in September 2022

September 2021 Literature and application forms will be available from the Council, from schools and other outlets. The online application system goes live.
15 January 2022 This is the last day that applications will be accepted by the Council and not treated as late.
14 February 2022 Information about preferences will be sent to voluntary aided and academy schools for consideration.
28 February 2022 Voluntary aided and academy schools will provide the Council with their ranked applications.
March 2022 Neighbouring authorities will share information and their offers.
16 April 2022 Offer letters and emails (online applicants only) for all schools’ Foundation 2 places will be sent by the Council.
May 2022 Late applications will then be considered.
May to July 2022 Appeals to be heard and decided.
September 2021 Children begin school in Foundation 2.

Wirral Primary Schools

Map of Wirral Primary Schools

Mainstream schools

Starting at a school in Year 1 and above, and transfers between schools

If you want to apply for a school place in Year 1 or above, you can either apply online or fill in a common application form (a transfer request form) and return it to Wirral Local Authority. You can get common application forms from:

  • Any Wirral primary school
  • The Council’s call centre: 0151 606 2000 during office hours

We arrange for children in Year 1 and above to start at a primary school in the same way as Foundation 2 children.

If you are transferring between Wirral schools, it is always advisable to speak to the headteacher of your child’s school before making an application to transfer. It will disrupt your child’s education less if you arrange to transfer them to another school in the summer at the end of the school year.

For community and controlled schools

We will offer your child a place in your zoned school if that is what you want, as long as this will not bring the class size to more than 30 for Key Stage 1 children (Foundation 2, Year 1 and Year 2). There is no limit to the size of classes in Key Stage 2 (Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 or Year 6).

We will agree a place in an out of zone school as long as:

  • there is room in your child’s year group; and
  • for Year 1 and Year 2 children, there are not already 30 children in the class.

If your child goes to an out-of-zone infant school, they will be able to transfer to the relevant junior school at the age of 7.

Where a school which is below its admission number has organised its Key Stage 1 into classes of 30, and the only way to admit another child would be for us to take qualifying measures (that is, provide more resources in terms of staff and accommodation at the school), we may refuse an application.

Key Stage 2 - Children are usually entitled to a place at their catchment school even though the school may be on or above its admission number. However, where there is a serious concern, for example about health and safety, there may be circumstances in which a Key Stage 2 place may be refused at a catchment school. The Council will agree a place in an out-of-zone school as long as there is room within the admission number.

For voluntary aided schools and Academy Schools

Your application will be passed to the school for their decision whether to offer a place to your child. The governing body will operate their own admission criteria taking into account to the availability of places in the year group, and the Key Stage 1 class size limit (for years F2, 1 and 2).

The governor’s decision whether to offer a place at an Aided or Academy school will be sent to you in writing by Wirral Local Authority, not by the school.

What if I don’t get offered the school I wanted?

If your application for a place is refused, in the refusal letter other nearby schools may be suggested at which places are currently available in your child’s year group.

You can also appeal against the decision not to offer a place at your preferred school. See page 16 for information about the appeals process.

Note – The School Admissions Code says that the governing body of Voluntary Aided and Academy schools can decide that they would prefer parents to apply directly to them to request an in-year transfer. If any schools decide to take this up, it would come into effect from 1st November 2021for years 1 to 6, and from 1st January 2022 for Foundation 2. The Wirral Admissions website will be updated with a list of any schools who decide to do this – parents would then apply for those specific schools directly to the school on their own application form, and the school would reply to parents directly about whether a place was being offered and give a right to appeal if refused. The school would have to notify the Local Authority about the application and the decision.

Travel to school

Under Section 508 (B) of the Education Act 1996 the Council must provide free transport to and from school for a child if they are aged 5 to 16 between home and their nearest suitable school under certain conditions.

A ‘suitable’ school for transport purposes is the nearest school to the child’s home.

There is no general legislative requirement for the Council to transport pupils to the nearest school of a particular type e.g. faith school, ability (grammar or non grammar), single sex or Mixed, academy or free school.

Assistance with public transport costs will be provided for Wirral resident pupils who qualify under the following circumstances:

  1. Pupils are between age 5 and 16 and go to their nearest suitable school and live at least:
    • 2 miles from the school if they’re under 8
    • 3 miles from the school if they’re 8 or older.
  2. Pupils are registered at their nearest suitable school and are unable to walk to school due to a route which the Council has assessed as hazardous.
  3. Pupils are from a low income family who are entitled to free school meals or maximum Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit with an income below £16,190, if they are:
    • aged 8 to 11 and the school is at least 2 miles away.
    • aged 11 to 16 and the school is 2 to 6 miles away.
      • as long as there aren’t 3 or more suitable schools nearer to home.
    • aged 11 to 16 and the school is 2 to 15 miles away
      • if it’s their nearest school preferred on the grounds of religion or belief.
    • Children with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) are entitled to free transport however far they live from the school if:
      • they have a statement of SEND or EHCP that says the local council will pay transport costs.
      • they can’t walk because of their SEND, a disability or mobility problem.

The distance from home and the school gate nearest to home by the shortest available walking route will be measured using a computerised mapping system.

As a general guide, we will treat routes without pavements and street lighting as unsafe for children and young people. When assessing the safety of routes, the Authority will assume that the child is accompanied, as necessary, by a parent or other responsible person. Initial assessment of route safety is made by the team responsible for assessing eligibility for home to school transport. Where the safety of a route is questioned by an applicant, the Council’s Road Safety team will carry out an assessment.

If parents believe their child is entitled to receive a free travel pass based on the criteria above then they can contact: The Council Call Centre Information and Advice Team 0151 606 2000 or email:

If your child has SEND, they may be able to access Independent Travel Training (ITT). Visit the Travel Training webpage, telephone 0151 666 4212 or email for further information.

Walking to school

Before you decide on your school preferences, it is worth considering how your child will get to school.

In recent years the number of children who are driven to school has steadily increased. Almost 20% of traffic on the roads during the morning rush hour is cars driving children to school. This contributes to traffic congestion and air pollution. Less walking and cycling to school is affecting children’s health and independence. Wirral Council is committed to encouraging more children to walk or cycle to school, or catch the bus for longer distances.

When deciding how your child travels to school, the following points are important to consider:

  • Research has shown that children who walk to school are fitter, have better developed social skills, are more familiar with their surroundings, have better road sense and arrive at school more relaxed and ready to learn.
  • Walking, cycling or using the bus reduces congestion on the road. In the school holidays, when the roads tend to be much quieter, it is clear how much rush hour traffic is school-run related.
  • On average, the school run costs families over £300 a year in petrol costs and general wear and tear.

Talk to your child and plan their new route to school. The right choices can increase their self confidence and independence whilst also helping to maintain a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. If you are interested in walking, cycling or bus use, you can find more information on the Road Safety Sessions in Schools webpage or you can speak to your child’s school to find out if they have a travel plan or other initiatives in place.

School clothes

Children are expected to dress neatly for school. Primary-age children do not need to wear a school uniform, but many schools ask children to wear a type or colour of clothing that is associated with the school. However, as the Local Authority does not ask for this, the Council does not provide a grant towards buying school clothing.

Some schools will offer free or low cost uniform items. Wirral F.U.S.S distribute free good quality recycled uniforms.

To find out more, go to

School meals and milk

Edsential Catering Services provides over 20,000 meals daily to most primary and all special schools in Wirral and is dedicated to maintaining high quality, balanced, healthy, nutritious foods to pupils complying with all legislative requirements. There is a choice of main courses every day, including a vegetarian option. A ‘help yourself’ salad bar is provided alongside all main courses.

You can get more information on School Meals from Edsential Catering Services Helpdesk on 0151 666 5624 who will be pleased to advise you and provide sample menus.

Why eat school meals?

Your child will receive:

  • A healthy, high quality nutritionally balanced meal daily.
  • Traditionally cooked and freshly prepared by fully trained staff.
  • Children are encouraged to try a variety of different foods.
  • School meals are great value for money and save you time in the morning!
  • Eating together makes lunchtime fun and enjoyable and improves children’s social skills.

Free School Meals – Infant children

All infant pupils (Foundation 2, Year 1 and Year 2) in government funded schools in England are eligible for a free school meal; this is not compulsory. The aim is to improve academic attainment and save families money – over the course of a year the average family spends £437 on school lunches per child.

In areas where free school meals have been provided, the Department for Education says that:

  • pupils were found to be on average 2 months ahead of their peers elsewhere.
  • around 2% more children reached target levels in Maths and English at Key Stage 1.
  • academic improvements were most marked among children from less affluent families.
  • there was a 23% increase in the number of children eating vegetables at lunch and an 18% drop in those eating crisps.

For more information about this national scheme, visit

Free School Meals – low income families

Free school meals are also available to children if their parent or guardian is in receipt of Income Support OR Universal Credit OR Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance OR Employment and Support Allowance Income Related OR Guaranteed Pension Credit OR Child Tax Credit with a total annual income of LESS than £16,190 but NOT receiving Working Tax Credit.

Schools provide third pint cartons of semi-skimmed/fluoride milk for pupils, which are provided free to pupils who receive a free school meal, or can be bought by other parents.

There is now a new way to claim free school meals for children. To claim free school meals contact your child’s school to sign up to the free online system.

Healthy eating for life

Eating well is always important for children to perform at their best, whether it’s for lessons, doing homework, sport or hobbies.

  • Have a healthy breakfast – This gives children the energy they need to be alert and more able to concentrate. Wholegrain bread or cereals keep children going for longer as they release energy more slowly. Fresh fruit juice provides vitamins. Ask your school if they have a breakfast club!
  • Drink more water – Water keeps children alert and active and is better than soft drinks, which tend to be full of sugar.
  • Have a school lunch – A healthy lunch helps children concentrate in the afternoons.
  • Fish – Oily fish is good for everyone’s heart, and it’s a good source of protein. Try and eat fish at least twice a week.
  • Don’t skip meals – Children will be tired and find it harder to concentrate.
  • Healthy snacks – Children may love sweets, crisps and biscuits, but fresh and dried fruit and unsalted nuts will keep them fuller for longer.

If your child will take packed lunches to school, the NHS have produced some tips and suggestions for a healthy packed lunch on the change4life webpages.

Special educational needs

The majority of children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) or disabilities will have their needs met by local mainstream early years providers, schools or colleges. Some children and young people, however, may require an EHC needs assessment in order for the local authority (LA) to decide whether it is necessary for it to make provision in accordance with an EHC plan.

The School Admissions Code of Practice requires children and young people with SEND to be treated fairly. Admissions authorities:

  • must consider applications from parents of children who have SEND but do not have an EHC plan on the basis of the school’s published admissions criteria as part of normal admissions procedures
  • must not refuse to admit a child who has SEND but does not have an EHC plan because they do not feel able to cater for those needs
  • must not refuse to admit a child on the grounds that they do not have an EHC plan

Details of the provision available in each school can be found in their school’s information report. Links to local early years providers, schools and colleges can be accessed via the Sendlo Wirral website.

Children and young people with SEND have different needs and can be educated effectively in a range of mainstream or special settings. Alongside the general presumption of mainstream education, parents of children with an EHC plan and young people with such a plan have the right to seek a place at a special school, special post-16 institution or specialist college.

If you think that your child may have special educational needs, you can speak to your child’s early years provider, school or college. There is usually a teacher responsible for coordinating SEND provision (the SEND Co-ordinator or SENCO). Further details about EHC plans can be found on the Sendlo Wirral website.

In a small number of cases, we will agree to a child who has an EHC Plan receiving home tuition. This is normally following a medical recommendation. This service is only considered as a final option and only if a child cannot physically get to school. We believe that, wherever possible, a child should be educated in a school environment.

Special Education Support Service

This service is made up of teams of the following:

  • Educational psychologists.
  • Medical/physical needs team.
  • Social and communication and interaction difficulties team.
  • Sensory Inclusion Service.
  • Portage and Early Years Intervention Team.

The service offers assessment, advice and support for pupils who have or may have special educational needs to enable schools to maintain placement of a child who has SEND but does not have an EHC plan.

Members of the service offer advice about a pupil’s educational needs to headteachers, class teachers, parents and other professional colleagues who may be involved.

You can get further information from the heads of the above teams by contacting:
Phone: 0151 666 4377

Wirral SEND Partnership

The SEND Partnership Service is delivered by WIRED, a charitable organisation which is independent of the Local Authority and which gives neutral independent advice and support to parents whose children have special educational needs and/or disabilities. The service is flexible and aims to work in a flexible manner, parents can self refer. They may be able to help you if:

  • You think your child needs extra help at school.
  • Your child is at risk of exclusion due to his/her behaviour.
  • She/he has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
  • You would like your child’s needs to be formally assessed.
  • You are attending a school meeting.
  • You need help with understanding or completing paperwork.

For further information contact:
Wirral SEND Partnership
Phone: 0151 522 7990 Option 2

Transport to special schools and classes

Consideration for transport support is provided to children and young people who are resident on Wirral who have complex special educational needs, a disability or mobility problem as identified through the Special Educational Needs (SEND) assessment process.

Not all children with a statement of Special Educational Needs or EHCP require free transport provision. Where a young person is able to access and use the public transport network safely they will be expected to do so. Where they are unable to walk because of their SEND, a disability or mobility problem they are entitled to free transport.

Eligibility for transport is subject to an initial application which will be assessed in accordance with the councils home to school transport policy.

Following the assessment process parents will be notified of the decision regarding transport provision. Eligibility to provision will be assessed annually.

The decision to provide transport is based on the student’s needs. This means that Wirral Council is not able to take the following into account when considering home to school transport entitlement:

  • Parents’ work or other commitments.
  • Attendance by siblings at other schools.
  • If a parent chooses to send their child to a provider that is not the nearest appropriate provider to the home address.
  • A journey from one educational establishment to another.
  • Ad hoc visits to other schools, colleges or other establishments.
  • Out of hours clubs (breakfast club, after school activities).
  • To/ from dental, clinical, medical or hospital appointments
  • At a different time due to detention or exclusion.

In these instances, transport arrangements will be the sole responsibility of the student’s parent or carer. Parents sometimes raise issues regarding accompaniment as part of an appeal and these will then be considered on an individual basis.

If young people are assessed as eligible for free transport the type of transport provided will be based on individual assessment of young people’s needs and with regard to the best use of the Council’s resources. This may be in the form of a free pass for use on public transport or transport in a contracted vehicle.

For students travelling in contracted vehicles there is no specific duty on the Council to provide passenger assistants. However, a passenger assistant may be provided to accompany a young person with significant needs arising from a medical condition or a disability and where there is an exceptional need for care or supervision.

The decision on whether to provide a passenger assistant will be made as part of the eligibility assessment taking a number of factors into account. Such factors may include information relating, but not limited, to:

  • medical issues
  • health and safety related issues, including risk to self or others
  • the young person’s mobility
  • any challenging behaviour arising from the young person’s SEND
  • where a passenger has severe learning or physical difficulties, the need for continual care and supervision
  • age and capability
  • length of journey
  • the vehicle type and size

Transport is allocated on an annual basis and parents and carers will be involved in a discussion regarding the ongoing suitability of the existing transport arrangements during the review of the young person’s statement of educational needs.

In cases of students with high risk medical needs (who require additional funding from a number of organisations) decisions regarding transport will be informed by health, education and social care practitioners. If a child is eligible for transport, health professionals will provide recommendations based on the child’s specific needs during transport to ensure safety. This will be reviewed appropriately in order to provide a responsive service.

If your child has SEND, they may be able to access Independent Travel Training (ITT). Visit the Travel Training webpage, telephone 0151 666 4212 or email for further information.

Special schools and classes

  • Hayfield
    (including communication disorder unit)
    Age range: 4 to 11
  • Stanley
    Complex learning difficulty
    Age range: 2 to 11
  • Elleray Park
    Complex learning difficulty
    Age range: 2 to 11
  • Orrets Meadow
    Specific learning difficulty
    Age range: 7 to 11
  • Gilbrook
    Behavioural, emotional and social difficulties
    Age range: 5 to 11
  • Wirral Hospitals School
    Physical and mental health
    Age range: 2 to 19
  • Townfield Primary
    Hearing disability
    Age range: 4 to 11
  • New Brighton Primary
    Language difficulties
    Age range: 4 to 7
  • The Priory CE Primary
    Language difficulties
    Age range: 4 to 8
  • Devonshire Park Primary
    Language difficulties
    Age range: 4 to 7
  • New Brighton Primary
    Education Inclusion Base
    Age range: 7 to 11
  • Bidston Village CE Primary
    Education Inclusion Base
    Age range: 5 to 11
  • Co-op Academy Woodslee
    Social and communication difficulties
    Age range: 7 to 11
  • Fender Primary
    Social and communication difficulties classes (2)
    Age range: 4 to 11
  • Eastway Primary
    Social and communication difficulties classes (2)
    Age range: 4 to 11
  • Devonshire Park Primary
    Social and communication difficulties classes (2)
    Age range: 4 to 11

Wirral Attendance Team

Attend Today, Achieve Tomorrow.

Good school attendance is an essential element to our ambition to raise standards and secure best outcomes for all children and young people. Our new attendance team will work in collaboration with schools and partner agencies to improve attendance levels in Wirral’s Schools and fulfil legal statutory responsibilities.

As well as its duties linked to school attendance, the Service has responsibilities in relation to Children Electively Home Educated (EHE), Traveller Children, Children Missing from Education (CME), Child Employment and children involved in performances and entertainment. This includes dealing with enquiries from the public, schools, Local Authority colleagues, and other agencies both on the telephone and in person.

Whilst we recognise that regular school attendance is a parents responsibility; in cases where poor school attendance and punctuality is a safeguarding matter and where all offers of early help and targeted support are not able to ensure a child attends school regularly, it may be necessary for school to work together with the Local Authority Enforcement Officer to enforce the law around school attendance.

You can get further information from:
Attendance Team
Phone: 0151 666 3433

The curriculum

Children aged under five

Schools and all registered early years providers have to follow a structure of learning, development and care for children from birth to five years old. This is called the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) and it enables your child to learn through a range of activities.

The key aims are that children learn through play and that the early years provider works closely with parents, keeping them up to date on their child’s progress, and ensuring the welfare, learning and all round development of all children, including those with special educational needs and disabilities.

The EYFS is organised into:

The prime areas of learning:

  • communication and language
  • physical development
  • personal, social and emotional development

The specific areas of learning:

  • literacy
  • mathematics
  • understanding the world
  • expressive arts and design

Characteristics of effective learning:

  • playing and exploring
  • active learning
  • creating and thinking critically

A completed EYFS Profile consists of 20 items of information: the attainment of each child assessed in relation to 17 early learning goals, together with a short narrative describing the child’s learning characteristics. Assessments will be based primarily on observation of daily activities and events.

Children aged 5 to 11

Pupils aged 5 to 11 study the National Curriculum as part of the school’s own curriculum. Your child’s school may cover these subjects under different names, and may teach more than one subject together under the same name. This is left up to individual schools, as long as they are covering the National Curriculum.

The National Curriculum covers the following subjects for pupils aged up to 11.

  • English
  • Maths
  • Science
  • History
  • Music
  • Geography
  • Physical Education
  • Art and Design
  • Design Technology
  • Religious Education
  • Information and Communication Technology

Schools are also advised to teach at least one modern foreign language, personal, social and health education (PSHE) and citizenship.

Pupils are assessed by teachers at the ages of 5 (Foundation Stage Profile) and 7 (Key Stage 1). At age 11 (Key Stage 2), pupils are assessed by teachers and by national tests. You can see progress reports for each subject after these assessments.

You can get further details about the National Curriculum from

Religious education

Religious education is taught in community and voluntary controlled schools in line with the agreed Wirral syllabus for religious education. The Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education reviews this syllabus. You can get copies from schools or from the Local Authority. Parents have the right to withdraw their children from religious education and collective worship.

Religious education at voluntary aided schools is the responsibility of the governing body and is taught in line with the school’s trust deed. The trust deed is the document which sets out the basic values and beliefs of the school.

All schools provide daily group worship for all pupils.

Sex and relationship education

In primary schools, governing bodies decide whether sex and relationship education should be taught. If it is taught, it must encourage pupils to consider the moral side of sex and the value of family life. The detailed content of sex education is for schools to decide. Parents may request a copy of the sex and relationship policy from the school and may choose to withdraw their children from all or part of sex education.


Learning to play a musical instrument is a journey of discovery, joy, challenge and fulfilment. Edsential provides music tuition in many primary, secondary and special schools. If your child is not able to receive tuition in school, then Edsential can offer tuition in Music Centres at Woodchurch or Wallasey in the evenings or on Saturday mornings. The Wirral Centre for Young Musicians takes place on Saturday mornings and provide string, orchestral, wind and brass groups as well as theory and aural tuition for children of all abilities. More advanced students may audition to become members of senior ensembles, including orchestra, brass band, big band and concert band. These groups regularly tour abroad and are involved with regional and national festivals of music.

Charges may be made for lessons and other activities. Financial support is usually available for children in receipt of pupil premium. Please enquire at your school or directly with Edsential for further details about financial support for music tuition and the remissions policy. Instruments may be hired or purchased from Edsential.

You can get further details about tuition, music centres and ensembles from:
Edsential Music Service
Phone: 0151 541 2170 ext: 2011

Physical Education

There is a varied Physical Education programme for all pupils in Foundation 1 and 2 and Key Stages 1 and 2. Swimming is taught mainly in primary schools, and games, gymnastics, dance and athletics are the main activities in Key Stages 1 and 2.

Many schools also offer outdoor education involving other subjects as well as Physical Education. Pupils also have the chance to try Health-Related Exercise programmes, which encourage a more personal attitude to Physical Education. Wirral co-ordinates a PE and Sport Partnership programme. This involves a secondary PE teacher supporting a group of family primary schools with their PE and Sport provision. This enables specialist teachers of Physical Education to provide a variety of sporting opportunities for all children.

School sport in Wirral continues to maintain a high reputation. By working closely with the Sports Development Unit all pupils are encouraged (whatever their age, gender or standard) to make the best of their talents and interests by extending their experiences through after-school clubs.

Transferring to secondary school

Children in Wirral transfer to secondary school at the age of 11.

A separate booklet is produced with information about secondary education in Wirral. This is available to all parents of children in their last year of primary school.

The booklet is available online on the Admissions portal or by post from the Council’s call centre (0151 606 2000).

Equal opportunities

We believe that all people are equal, whatever their race, sex, sexual orientation, pregnant or new parent, disability, religion or belief, transgender status, marital status or age. We do our best to make sure that the services we provide, and how we employ people, do not discriminate against anyone. We encourage positive action to overcome the effects of past discrimination and remove barriers to equal access.

However, we do respect the right of governing bodies of voluntary aided schools to recruit staff of a particular religion in line with the school’s beliefs, and to give priority in admissions to children from that religion.

Other information

Glossary of terms used


An Academy is a publicly funded independent school. Staff are employed by the Academy Trust, and the Trust or governing body are responsible for the admission arrangements.

Admissions Authority

The body that decides the order that children should be considered for places at the school. In the case of community and voluntary controlled schools it is the LA; in the case of academies and voluntary aided schools, it is the governing body.

Admission Number

This is the maximum number of pupils that a school is required to admit into each year group. The number is agreed as part of a school’s admission arrangements and is determined with regard to a Net Capacity Assessment (calculated on a Department of Education formula) based on the space available and use of resources. All schools must offer places up to the admission number if there is sufficient demand.

Admissions criteria

When a school has more applications than places, applications are matched against a list of criteria and ranked accordingly. These criteria are agreed by the LA for community and church controlled schools and by the governing body for church aided schools and academies.

Community School

A school which the LA maintains from public funds. It is managed locally by the headteacher and governors in collaboration with the LA.

Department for Education (DfE)

The government department with responsibility for children’s services, families, schools and 14–19 education.


Relating to a particular religion.

EHCP (EHC plan)

Education, Health and Care Plans are personalised plans for children and young people with special educational needs that cover from birth to age 25.

They aim to ensure that all the support the young person needs from education, health and social care professionals is agreed in one place.

EHC plans replaced statements and learning disability assessments in September 2014. Children and young people who previously had one of these will be gradually moved over to an EHC plan.

Qualifying Measures

Qualifying measures means that in order to ensure that infant class sizes do not rise above 30, the school would have to provide additional teaching space and/or an additional teacher. The admissions policy for community and voluntary controlled schools, for which the Local Authority is the admissions authority, is designed to enable schools to organise in such a way as to ensure that no Foundation 2 or Key Stage 1 pupil is in a class of over 30

Useful websites and phone numbers

Getting ready for school: is your child immunised?

Starting school is an exciting time for children but some may start school not fully immunised. If your child is not fully immunised they are at risk of catching diseases such as measles, which can spread quickly in nurseries and schools. If your child missed any of their immunisations as a baby or toddler, this is a good time to ask your GP practice about catch-up doses. It is never too late to have your child immunised.

Further information on pre-school vaccinations can be found on the government website.