Situated in one of the most rural parts of Wirral, this area stretches along the centre of the peninsula to the outskirts of Birkenhead and Chester. While the original village can be traced back to the Domesday Book, documentary evidence suggests that Barnston existed before the Norman Conquest.
The earliest remaining buildings in the Village date from the eighteenth century. Still dominated by working farms, the Village represents a good example of a post-medieval clustered settlement.
There is very little repetition of building types. Very few buildings were constructed in the village after 1900 and as such the original layout remains largely unaltered.
Download planning documents relating to the Barnston Conservation Area: