Things that the council is responsible for

  • removal of tree stumps alongside public roads, unless left in place for safety reasons
  • repairing damage to roads caused by tree roots surfacing
  • protecting council-owned trees using Tree Preservation Orders
  • the removal of leaf fall, fallen fruit and flowers, such as crab apples and tree blossom (street cleaning information)
  • carrying out a 24-hour tree management emergency service if it’s causing a hazard
  • safety surveys and inspections of roadside trees on a regular basis
  • the removal of nuisances, such as publicly-owned trees interfering with buildings
  • the removal of dying or dangerous trees
  • tree limbs which cause an obstruction to road signs, traffic lights, etc.
  • asking land owners to trim back private trees or hedges if they cause an obstruction to public roads or pavements

Things that the council isn't responsible for

  • cutting back trees or hedges on private land
  • pruning or removing trees in relation to minor matters – such as light obstruction, TV reception, improving a view or to allow easier access to driveways
  • attending to minor nuisances, such as sticky sap, honeydew, birds' nests
  • removing roots unless it’s proven that they’re causing damage to drains or structures
  • removing limbs or debris from trees growing on private land. If it causes an obstruction on the road, we’ll charge the owner for the work

If you believe a publicly-owned tree is causing damage to your property:

  • contact your insurer for an independent expert’s report
  • for a compensation claim to be successful, you must provide evidence of the cause of the alleged damage

Reporting problems with trees

Report a problem with a tree on the road

Report a concern about overhanging branches

Tree planting and adopting a tree

Due to budget restrictions, we can’t always replace felled trees. However, anybody that wishes to plant a tree in the verge outside their property can now ‘adopt’ a tree.

Tree planting is usually carried out from October to December, when trees are dormant, as this is more likely to give a young tree the best chance of survival.

Apply and pay to adopt a tree

Consultation - Tree Strategy

Read more about the Wirral tree strategy and have your say.