Wirral library members have free access to our online resources. You can access these resources at every Wirral library and some from at home.
Just login to your account and click on the 'online reference' tab.
Online resources available include:
- Who’s Who - Autobiographical listings of 33,000 influential people from around the globe who have an impact on British life, including senior politicians, judges, civil servants, and notable figures from the arts, academia, and other areas.
- Oxford Art Online - The most extensive, authoritative and easily searchable online art resource available today.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biographies - An illustrated collection of more than 50,000 specially written biographies of the men and women from around the world who shaped all aspects of Britain's past.
- Oxford Bibliographies offers exclusive, authoritative research guides. Combining the best features of an annotated bibliography and a high-level encyclopedia, this cutting-edge resource guides researchers to the best available scholarship across a wide variety of subjects.
- Who’s Who: the essential directory of the noteworthy and influential in every area of public life, published worldwide, and written by the entrants themselves.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online Library Edition - Search for information in encyclopedias, magazines, videos, and websites.
Findmypast makes original historical documents available to search online, so that people can explore a collection of over two billion records to find their ancestors and trace their family tree.
- Findmypast.co.uk - Use a computer in any Wirral library for free access. With over 4 billion records and 11 million historic newspaper pages to explore, Findmypast is the best place to discover your family’s story.
General reference resources
- Oxford Reference Online - Oxford Reference Online brings together language and subject reference works from one of the world's biggest reference publishers into a single cross-searchable resource.
- Very Short Introductions - Discover a new topic or subject with these intelligent and serious introductions written by authors who are experts in their field.
- British Newspaper Archive: Hundreds of newspapers, including titles such as Liverpool Echo, Liverpool Mercury, Chester Chronicle, Cheshire Observer and many more.
- Access UK and Ireland Newspapers: Full images of: The Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, The Times, The Daily Telegraph and The Liverpool Echo, plus full text content of all UK newspapers including Wirral Globe.
- COBRA (Complete Business Reference Adviser):
An encyclopaedia of practical information for starting, running and managing a small business. Includes over 4,000 fact sheets, local area profiles.
- Which? Access thousands of product reviews from within Wirral Libraries - ask staff for login details.