Equipment and changes to help you keep living at home

If you are struggling to live at home you can get equipment and support to help you in your day-to-day life. You may also be able to have changes made to your home to help you get about more easily and keep living independently.

Who might need equipment or changes to their home?

Anyone who is struggling to live independently might benefit from changes to their home. This includes:

  • people who are frail through old age
  • people with disabilities
  • people who are carers of those who struggle due to disabilities or old age

Finding out what support you need

To receive an assessment for equipment and adaptations from the council’s occupational therapy service you must:

The assessment will identify the care services which are right for you. If you need equipment, or changes to your home. We will work with you to look at the products which will best help you.

Equipment will always be considered before changes to the home, and minor adaptations before major ones.

Examples of equipment and minor home adaptations

There are lots of things available to make your life easier. Some examples include:

  • grab rails
  • raised toilet seats
  • perching stools
  • shower seating
  • hoists and slings

Examples of major adaptations

Major adaptations might include:

  • widening doorways
  • installing ramps
  • installing a stairlift
  • creating disabled access to showers

Will I have to pay?

If you are eligible for care and assessed as needing equipment or minor home adaptations there is no charge.

If you are assessed as needing major home adaptations the cost to you will depend on several factors including:

  • who owns the house you live in
  • the scale of work involved
  • how much money you have

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you own your home, or you rent from a private landlord you will need to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. This is a ‘means-tested' grant, which means that the less money you have, the more grant you could receive to pay towards the works.

If you rent from a Registered Social Landlord

If you rent from a Registered Social Landlord you should not have to pay for any minor work done.  If you require a major Adaptation, your Registered Social Landlord may offer you more suitable accommodation instead, or they may refer you to apply for a means- tested Disabled Facilities Grant. 

Finding your own equipment

If you do not wish to go through Adult Social Services you can visit our Wirral InfoBank website where you can buy aids and equipment.