Members of the council are entitled to be paid allowances in accordance with regulations issued by the Government, the latest being the Local Authorities (Members’ Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003.
The council’s allowance scheme is based on the national legislation and provides:
- a basic allowance of £8,712.45 (reduced by 5%) for all members
- a special responsibility allowance for a Councillor who take on additional responsibilities, such as Cabinet members and committee chairs. These range from £22,927 (for the Leader of the Council) to £1,375
- Reimbursement of travel and subsistence costs
- a dependant carer’s allowance, to support any Councillors with childcare responsibilities
No provision has been made in the scheme for the payment of pensions to former councillors.
The scheme is set out in full in Part 6 of the Council Constitution.
- The amounts paid to Councillors
- Mayor allowances
- Councillors who are members of Merseyside Integrated Transport Authority