Problems paying your Council Tax and other debts

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax bill, let us know and we may be able to help. The sooner you tell us, the sooner we can help you.

Council Tax Support

If you are eligible, you may be able to claim Council Tax Support, which is money from the council to help pay your Council Tax bill.

Find out more about Council Tax Support

What help can I get if I am struggling to pay my Council Tax bill?

Wirral Council has two schemes to help people struggling to pay their bill:

Citizens Advice can offer help if you are having problems managing your money.

Fair debt arrangement

If you have more than one debt with the council but are unable to pay these off in the time expected, you may be offered a fair debt arrangement. This means you can make one single payment towards the total amount owed.

You may be able to pay weekly or monthly to clear your arrears, as well as keeping up to date with the current year’s Council Tax or Business Rate liability.

Apply for a fair debt arrangement

The debts included in the scheme are:

  • Council Tax
  • Housing Benefit overpayments
  • Business Rates
  • Sundry Debtors Invoice

If payments are being made as asked for and the current year’s bills are kept up to date, no recovery action will be taken.

In some circumstances, a debt cannot be included for fair debt. This is at the discretion of the Head of Business processes.

Council Tax Discretionary Hardship Payment

Council Tax discretionary hardship payments are administered by Wirral Council. They are a one off payments that are applied to your Council Tax account to reduce the amount of Council Tax payable.

A successful application does not guarantee that a further award will be made at a later date, even if your circumstances have not changed.

Who can get a Council Tax Discretionary Hardship Payment?

Payments will only be made if we consider your circumstances to be short term and sufficiently exceptional when compared to others in a similar position.

Each application is assessed individually and each award is entirely discretionary. Both your finances and personal circumstances are taken into account.

Payments are for short term assistance only and are not a way of reducing your Council Tax indefinitely.

When can't we make a Council Tax Discretionary Hardship Payment?

You can't get this extra help:

  • to cover Council Tax left after a maximum award of Council Tax Support
  • when Council Tax Support is suspended
  • where there are already non-dependant deductions
  • where there is a shortfall in Council Tax Support due to a DWP sanction or suspension
  • where summons, liability order or bailiff costs are applied to a Council Tax account
  • to cover charges relating to an empty home that are normally rented on a commercial basis.
  • to cover Council Tax recoverable overpayment
  • to cover previous years Council Tax liability

Apply for a Council Tax Discretionary Hardship payment