Types of emergency


You could still be at risk of flooding even if your area has not flooded in the past.

How to prepare for a flood

If you are at risk of flooding, what can you do?

What to do if you are subject to flooding?

Visit The Flood Hub for help and advice for households, businesses and communities who may be subject to flooding.

Report a flood

Flood insurance


Some emergencies may require you to be evacuated from your home. Not every evacuation is long term and you should follow the advice and direction of the emergency services.

Before you leave your home:

  • turn off the water supply and drain taps
  • close and lock windows and doors
  • for long-term evacuation, switch off power but be wary of food in the freezer
  • tune into local radio station or visit the council’s Wirral View website which will issue details and arrangements for collecting children from schools
  • if you can’t leave your pet behind, make sure you have a secure pet carrier or leash, plus it has a proper ID tag
  • take your emergency ‘grab bag' (see below).

Evacuees will be encouraged to find alternative shelter and accommodation arrangements with friends and family. If you have valid (building) home insurance, you may be entitled to be placed in a hotel. Please contact your insurance providers.

If you are staying in rented accommodation - either privately or through a registered social landlord - they also have a duty to find you alternative accommodation via their insurance and emergency arrangements.

Reception centres

Merseyside Police will be responsible for moving people to a place of safety until Wirral Council can open up a reception centre for those people who have been evacuated and have no other options for shelter. The centre will provide basic shelter and welfare.

Emergency grab bag

We encourage all households to have a basic grab bag ready for the unlikely event of a sudden evacuation. It should include:

  • any medication that may be required
  • glasses or contact lenses
  • first aid kit
  • essential keys including house and car
  • cash, credit and debit cards and other small valuable items which may be unsafe if left behind
  • passport and any other important documents
  • change of clothing, footwear, and sleeping attire – appropriate for the weather
  • washing, shaving and sanitary supplies
  • supply of appropriate food, water, bottle and tin openers, etc.
  • any special items for babies, children, the elderly and disabled
  • torch, very small radio, mobile phone and charger

Think about having a basic grab bag in your car too.

Environmental Accidents

Wirral has four sites that has large amounts of fuel /chemicals stored there.  These sites are governed by the Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) regulations.

As part of the control measures each facility has a public information zone for residents and businesses close by, this gives them information on what to do if the sirens are activated. 

The sites covered by the COMAH regulations on Wirral are:

  • Unilever
  • Eastham Oil Refinery
  • Essar

Animal Health Diseases 

The Animal and Plant Health Agency, Wirral Council environmental health, emergency planning and trading standards services are responsible for dealing with outbreaks of diseases like foot and mouth disease.

GOV.UK provides information on notifiable diseases in animals