On 16th October 2017 Wirral Council became a permit authority. This scheme replaces the previous process where works promoters would submit a ‘notice’ advising the council of the intended works.
Under the permit scheme, organizations such as utility companies would now need to apply to for a permit before they started any work on roads and pavements which are the responsibility of the council. The only exception to this would be emergency works as defined in section 52 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA).
Aims of the permit scheme
The aim of the scheme is to enable, among other things, the following:
- apply parity to all works promoters carrying out activities on the highway
- encourage collaborative working
- encourage greater coordination of all planned works
- reduce the disruption and delays caused by street and road works
- enhance safety of all road users at street and road works
- enhance the reliability of activities taking place at a particular time on the strategic road network