Wirral Council is proposing to introduce a permit scheme for any organisation that wants to carry out works on roads or pavements in the borough.
Under the scheme, organisations such as utility companies would need to apply to for a permit before they started any work on roads and pavements which are the responsibility of the council. The only exception to this would be emergency works as defined in section 52 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA).
Aims of the permit scheme
The aim of the scheme is to enable, among other things, the following:
- apply parity to all works promoters carrying out activities on the highway
- encourage collaborative working
- encourage greater coordination of all planned works
- reduce the disruption and delays caused by street and road works
- enhance safety of all road users at street and road works
- enhance the reliability of activities taking place at a particular time on the strategic road network
Have your say on the proposed permit scheme
The council is inviting comments from any organisation that may have an interest in the permit scheme. To comment on the proposals contact the street works team at [email protected]
All comments must be submitted by 3rd June 2016.