If you own, live near to or know of an empty house or flat which has the potential for people to live in, it please report it to the Council's Empty Property team.
Empty Property Review
In support of the Government’s initiative to tackle the shortfall in national housing, Wirral Council is undertaking a review of properties classified as long term empty premises according to Council Tax records. The review is being undertaken in conjunction with a company called Capacity Grid. If the Council Tax status of your property is currently classified as empty then Capacity Grid may contact you to confirm whether the property is still vacant. If you receive correspondence from Capacity Grid regarding your property please use this link to update the property records for your address. Alternatively you may also contact Capacity Grid by telephone on the Freephone number 0300 303 2076.
We’re dedicated to returning empty properties back into use. This helps to:
- increase the supply of much needed housing
- reduce homelessness
- contribute to the regeneration of an area
If you own a vacant property
There are initiatives designed to help you get your property back in to use:
- help in selling a vacant property in need of substantial refurbishment
- assistance in leasing your property, refurbishing it and letting it out with a proportion of the rent paid to you as the owner
- an Empty Property Grant to assist you with refurbishment
- HOUSED (Home Ownership Using Sustainable Empty Properties) – A scheme where we refurbish properties to a high standard and sell them at a discount to first time buyers and owner occupiers.
- Developers List – A scheme whereby we can notify property developers of properties available for sale, where the owners have requested marketing assistance from the Council. Interested parties will be invited to view properties and have the option of making sealed bids. To join the Developers Circulation List, please submit an application form
- Developers Circulation list application
- Find out how much it can cost to keep a property empty and what help is available to bring it back into use
The Housing Renewal Team at Wirral Council is here to help. If you would like to consider any of these options or would like to know more about any of the support outlined, please contact the Housing Renewal Team.
Telephone: 0151 691 8132
email: [email protected]