All incidents or emergencies are different in terms of dangers to the public and the response required. However, in most cases (where you haven’t been evacuated), you should go inside, stay inside and tune into local radio news for updates.
It’s a good idea to have these set aside, just in case:
- canned food, crackers, biscuits, read to eat meals and bottled water, etc.
- cooking equipment, basic cutlery and a tin opener
- medication and prescriptions
- warm clothing or blankets
- portable radio and batteries or a wind-up radio
- torch with batteries or candles with matches
- washing and personal hygiene products
- special items for babies, children, elderly and disabled persons
- store important documentation, such as passports and driving licenses, in a safe, dry place