The sale of alcohol is not permitted under a premises licence unless there is a Designated Premises Supervisor, who holds a personal licence. Every sale must be made or authorised by a personal licence holder.
Personal licences have no expiry date and may be used in licensed premises across England and Wales. Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
Personal licence applications must be submitted to the Local Authority in which you live. Wirral Council can only accept applications from people who live in Wirral.
Return the application form and relevant documentation to:
Wallasey Town Hall
- a Disclosure of convictions and civil immigration penalties and declaration form
- a personal licence holder’s qualification
- the results of a basic check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) which must be no greater than one month old
- proof of your right to work in the United Kingdom (see note 2 in the application for further information)
- two passport sized photos (45mm x 35mm), which must be:
- taken against a light background
- full face uncovered, without sunglasses and without a head covering, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to his/hers religious beliefs
- on photographic paper
- one of the photographs must be endorsed by either:
- the chief executive of the licensing justices for the relevant licensing authority
- a solicitor or notary
- a person of standing in the community
- an individual with a professional qualification
Processing and timescales
If you have no relevant convictions, the application will be granted.
If you do have a relevant conviction, the police will have 14 days to submit an objection notice if they consider that the crime and disorder licensing objective would be undermined. If an objection notice is submitted during this period your application will go to a hearing which will take place within 20 working days from the end of the consultation period.
Legislation and guidance
If an application is refused following a hearing, appeals may be made to a Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the decision to refuse.