Many of us need to borrow money at some time. The law says loans for goods or services must come with a document detailing your rights regarding:
- early settlement
- what a creditor can or cannot do to recover goods or money from you
Find out more about your rights at Citizens Advice.
If you feel your debt problems are getting out of control, contact the National Debt Hotline for free on 0808 808 4000.
Illegal money lenders
Unfortunately, some people fall into the trap of dealing with illegal moneylenders who:
- issue no documentation
- charge excessive and escalating rates
- threaten or intimidate you or your family
Help is available from the illegal moneylending team and you can contact them in strict confidence:
• email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• call: 0300 555 2222 (24-hour service)
• text LOAN SHARK and the lender’s details to 60003