If you have to drive across a pavement to get from your home to a road, you can apply to build a vehicle crossing. This will include a dropped kerb to make it easier for you to get onto the road.

Permission to build a vehicle crossing

You must apply for permission to build a vehicle crossing with a dropped kerb outside your house. You may also need planning permission if your property is located on a classified road. Any unauthorised crossings may be removed and you could be billed for the cost of the work.

Using the council to build a vehicle crossing

Wirral Council appoint a contractor to build a vehicle crossing. You can apply for a vehicle crossing to be built by completing the online form below. You can also call Street Scene on 0151 606 2004.

Apply to build a vehicle crossing

Find out if you need planning approval

If your property is on a main road, you may need to get planning approval before any work can be started. Contact the Planning section at planningapplications@wirral.gov.uk to find out if you will need planning approval.

Employing your own contractor

If you wish, you can use your own contractor to carry out the work. However, it is a legal requirement for Wirral Council to supervise such works. A fee of £135.00 is payable to the council for this service.

The contractor you use must have the relevant Street Works accreditation. They must also have Public Liability insurance of £5 million.

To apply for permission use the form for minor streetworks (up to three days).

Apply for permission to use your own contractor

Work should not start until a permit has been granted. We cannot recommend a contractor.