Description of the Scheme
This two-year project will see the completion of the LED replacement programme, the largest scheme undertaken by the Council.
Within the project:
- 9,000 streetlights have already been fitted with LED lamps
- 26,000 further streetlights will be fitted with LED lamps in phase 2
- 9,200 streetlight columns will be replaced
Benefits of the Scheme
This large-scale project will see improvements to increase safety and future-proof the entire streetlight network for the borough.
These improvements will:
- increase safety for residents
- increase CCTV visibility
- reduce Wirral’s energy use
- reduce Wirral’s carbon emissions and help us meet the ambitious but necessary target set out in Cool 2, the new climate strategy from The Cool Wirral Partnership
How the scheme will be funded
The project is funded through a successful bid of £4.6 million through an interest free loan from not-for-profit company SALIX as well as £5.95 million Council Capital funding.
Work on the second phase of the LED replacement programme began in September and is due for completion by Autumn 2021.