Description of the scheme
The A41 corridor (north) between Port Sunlight and Birkenhead connects Wirral’s highway infrastructure on route to and from Birkenhead road tunnel and adjacent routes to and from the Wirral Waters development site. This is one of Liverpool City Region’s Key Route Networks.
Work will be undertaken to:
- resurface 9.4km of road
- improvements to up to 114 streetlights
- bridge deck waterproofing and jointing
- upgrading 6km of safety fencing
- upgrading 8km street lighting cabling
- additional ducting for new fibre optic cable networks
- installing and upgrading 50 traffic and road signs
The work is being carried out by our contractor A E Yates Ltd.
Benefits of the scheme
The project forms part of our investment into maintaining our highway assets, with this stretch of road forming a key route network in Wirral.
This project will:
- improve flow on the highway
- provide more reliable journey times
- reduce carbon emissions
- reduce long term associated maintenance costs
- increase road safety benefits
The route supports highway infrastructure on route to and from the M53 corridor as well as new local housing developments.
How scheme will be funded
Funding for the scheme has come through grants from Liverpool City Region Combined Authority, Transport for Growth and Council Capital.
The scheme will see an investment of more than £3.4 million.
The project will commence on 2 September 2019 and is expected to be completed by March 2020.