Smoke control areas
Under the Clean Air Act, some Local Authorities may declare part of the district to be a smoke control area.
It is an offence to emit smoke from a chimney of a building, from a furnace or from any fixed boiler if located in a designated smoke control area.
It is also an offence to acquire an “unauthorised fuel” for use within a smoke control area unless it is used in an “exempt” appliance (“exempted” from the controls which generally apply in the smoke control area).
The current maximum level of fine is £1,000 for each offence.
Roads in Wirral that are not in a smoke control area
- All of Raby Mere (west of Dibbinsdale Brook)
- All of Thornton Hough
- All roads south of Brimstage Road, Spital and west of Poulton Road, Poulton
- Benty Heath Lane (to Wirral boundary)
- Brimstage Lane
- Brimstage Road (east of Heswall Hills Station and west of Clatterbridge roundabout)
- Clatterbridge Road
- Greenbank, Brimstage
- Hargrave Lane
- Keepers Lane
- Landican Lane, Storeton
- Lever Causeway
- Little Storeton Lane
- Manor Road, Thornton Hough
- Marsh Lane
- Mount Road, Clatterbridge
- Neston Road
- Parkgate Lane
- Poulton Hall Road
- Raby Hall Road
- Raby Mere Road
- Redhill Road
- Resthill Road
- Station Road, Storeton
- Talbot Avenue, Brimstage
- Thornton Common Road
- Whitehouse Lane (east of railway track)
- Willaston Road (to Wirral boundary)
- Willow Lane
- Willowbrow Road (to Wirral boundary)
If your house is in a smoke control area you must :
- only burn authorised fuels such as 'Coalite'
- use a grate in the fireplace that is suitable for burning smokeless fuel, or
- use an exempted appliance as defined by regulations - a list of which can be viewed at the UK Smoke Control website
You must NOT :
- burn ordinary coal or wood (other than kindling to light a fire) in your open fireplace
- burn waste paper and wood with smokeless fuel
- Smoke should not be emitted from a CHIMNEY in a smoke control area but you can have a garden bonfire as long as it does not cause a nuisance to your neighbours - see Bonfire information for advice.