Obtaining Copy Certificates

One of the main sources of information about your family's history is birth, death and marriage certificates.

A birth, death or a marriage is registered in the district where it took place. You need to apply to that district’s Register Office to get a copy of the certificate.

Wirral Register Office holds the registers of all births, deaths and marriages which took place in the district dating back to 1837.

The Cheshire births, marriages and deaths website allows you to access on-line indexes to some of our older birth, death and marriage records.

Information about how to apply for a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate is available elsewhere on this website.

Alternatively you may apply to the General Register Office which holds records for all births, deaths and marriages occurring within England and Wales since 1837 although fees for this service are higher than those at your local office.

You can find more information on tracing your family history from Family Records.

Searches of indexes

Where you provide accurate details, but we can't find the record, Register Office staff will search over a 5 year period (two before and two after the year stated).

If a wider search is required you will need to pay for a general search. You can make an appointment to come and do a general search of our indexes for up to six hours but you will not be able to see the registers.

You will have to pay for each certificate you want.