Children's Social Care

Children’s Social Care has a duty to safeguard and promote the wellbeing of children and young people in Wirral.   

Our main areas of work are:

Our overall aim is to: 

  • Improve outcomes for vulnerable children and young people in Wirral
  • Ensure all children and young people in Wirral are safe and healthy, to achieve their full potential, to enjoy and contribute to their local community.
  • Support parents to care for their children, where it is safe to do so
  • Work closely with other agencies to provided integrated services through improving communication and information sharing, developing common ways of working and co-ordinating the support provided to families

Assessing children when they may be in need 

We provide services to children and young people assessed as being ‘in need’ according to the Children Act 1989. We do this by working with many other agencies in Wirral to ensure that families are supported to care for their children to achieve their full potential, called integrated services; this includes services for disabled children.

Looking into situations where children may be suffering abuse or neglect and taking action that will protect them 

We have a duty to protect children and young people from abuse and neglect.  This means that when someone has expressed concerns about a child they will contact our Central Advice and Duty Team.  The social workers at CADT will make some initial inquiries and where the concerns are confirmed the information is forwarded to a district team for a social worker to carry out an assessment.   

Child protection inquiries may lead to a child protection plan being put in place. Where it is not safe for children and young people to remain with their immediate family we will work with extended family to support children remaining within their wider family. If this is not possible children may enter the care of the local authority.

Looking after children who cannot live with their families 

We will ensure that the best possible alternative form of care is provided for children who are not able to remain with their own families, for whatever reason.  This would usually be by being placed with a foster carer or sometimes in a children’s residential home.  Where possible we will try to find potential alternative carers within the child’s network of family or friends who are able and willing to care for the child.  More information can be found about these circumstances in Wirral’s policy for family and friends carers.

If there is no possibility of a child or young person returning to their own family we will ensure that an alternative permanent family is found through adoption, special guardianship or fostering. Where parents make their own arrangement for someone other than a close relative to look after their child, called private fostering, we will make checks on the suitability of the arrangement. 

If you are a parent or a carer or a professional and concerned about a child, find out more about Safeguarding Children

If you have any concerns about the safety and well being of a child please contact the Central Advice and Duty team at 0151 606 2008. 

Helping young people as they leave care and live independently 

We make sure that young people who are in care or have been in care are supported in the transition to adulthood and living independently.  When a child in care is 16 they will be allocated a personal advisor who will support them until they are 21 (or 24 if in full time education).  The personal advisor will support the young person in developing a pathway plan to ensure their accommodation, financial, education/training/employment, support, health and leisure needs are met. Find out more about the personal advisor service.

Supporting disabled children and their families

Our social workers will assess the needs of disabled children and their carers and assist with providing appropriate home and community based support.  The occupational therapy services will assess families for any adaptations and equipment required. In some situations families can choose to be given direct payments to purchase their own personal assistants.  We can also provide information about carer services and parent carer groups.  More information about the services provided to disabled children and their families can be found on the Disability (Services for children with complex disabilities) web page.