Accident reporting (RIDDOR)
Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement under The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR).
The information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Local Authorities, to identify where and how risks arise, and to investigate serious accidents.
We can then help you and provide advice on how to reduce injury, and ill health in your workplace.
What needs to be reported?
- Death or major injuries to an employee or a self-employed person working on your premises
- Death or hospitalisation of a member of the public
- Over seven day injury to an employee or a self-employed person working on your premises
- Disease suffered by an employee that is related to work activities
- Dangerous occurrence that does not result in a reportable injury but which clearly could have done
How to report an accident?
All incidents can be reported to a central point - the Incident Contact Centre (ICC) via:
- phone (fatal and major injuries only) - 0845 300 9923 (8.30am – 5.00pm)
- internet - HSE: RIDDOR (anytime)
- email - download and submit the appropriate form
For a full list of what is reportable and for more information and help about accident reporting, visit the RIDDOR website.