Local Housing Allowance

If you are a private tenant your Housing Benefit will be based on the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate which applies to you and your household, and the income you and your household recieve.

The LHA rate used will depend on the number of bedrooms you are allowed and not the number you actually have.


These are the LHA rates for people claiming Housing Benefit, valid from 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016.

Number of bedrooms

accommodation rate

(single under 35s)





Weekly LHA rate (£)






Monthly LHA rate (£)







The shared accommodation rate will apply to single claimants under 35 years old. This means if you live on your own without dependent children, are under 35 years old and live in privately rented accommodation, your Housing Benefit will be no higher than the shared accommodation rate.

The rates shown above relate to the number of bedrooms required by the household (for example, if a household needs 3 bedrooms their Housing Benefit will be based on the 3 bedroom rate, and the rent charged, whichever is lower,regardless of how many bedrooms the property actually has).


How can I Find out more about Local Housing Allowance?

The maximum bedroom allowance for Local Housing Allowance is 4 bedrooms, even if you need 5 bedrooms or more.


When is Local Housing Allowance not used for Housing Benefit?

Local Housing Allowance is not used if:

  • you are a Housing Association tenant
  • you have a tenancy that started before 1989
  • you live in a caravan, mobile home, house boat or hostel
  • you are living in supported housing provided by the Council, a Registered Social Landlord, a charity or a voluntary organisation
  • the Rent Officer decides that a substantial part of your rent is for board and attendance.

If your rent is higher than the local housing allowance rate you should consider asking your landlord to reduce the rent. If you are unsuccessful, you may apply for Discretionary Housing Payments.