As your landlord remains responsible for dealing with any disrepair you should first report problems to them or their agent.

If you do not get a satisfactory response, you can refer the details of any serious disrepair to the Council, including photos or video of the disrepair if possible.

Although all information will be assessed, the current health emergency means that the Council can only respond to disrepair that indicates an immediate and serious risk to the health and safety of the occupants.

If it is necessary for a housing officer to visit your home, you will be contacted in advance to arrange for precautions to be put in place for the visit. Such precautions are necessary to protect the officer and all occupants.

If your landlord or agent wants access to your home

If your landlord or their agent wants to enter your home during the current health emergency, you should insist that they adhere to social distancing measures by staying at least two metres away from all occupants throughout the visit.

If anyone in your home is self-isolating or shielding, you need to let your landlord or agent know in advance and see if the visit can be arranged for a later date and after the isolation or shielding period has passed. However, if access is needed for an urgent repair, they will need to follow the government guidelines on how such visits should be carried out.

Possession Proceedings

Landlords cannot currently start possession proceedings unless they have given you three-months’ notice of the intention to do so. In addition, all existing housing possession cases in the courts are suspended until 23 August 2020.

Landlords have been advised not to commence new notices seeking possession during this challenging time without a very good reason to do so.

Further information: COVID-19 and renting: guidance for landlords and tenants

Tenants sharing facilities

Where possible, any contact with other tenants should be minimised and you must maintain social distancing at all times.

Extra precautions should be taken where facilities are shared by two or more unrelated tenants.

It is advisable that each tenant thoroughly cleans and disinfects the shared area(s) each time they have used it.

A rota could be set up to avoid more than one person using areas such as kitchens and living rooms at the same time.

If you display symptoms of Coronavirus, you should isolate yourself in your flat or bedsit for 14 days. If you still need to use shared facilities you should make your fellow tenants aware that you are self-isolating. Anyone unwell should minimise visiting shared spaces such as kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas as much as possible, and keep shared areas well ventilated.

A person who is unwell should use separate body and hand towels from other people. They should take their meals back to their room to eat and use a dishwasher (if available) to clean and dry dishes, cutlery and utensils.

If you have received a letter from the NHS advising that you are vulnerable and should be shielding, any contact with fellow tenants should be avoided.

If you require any further advice or information, please visit our website or contact the hotline number on the following page.

Useful local information

Wirral Infobank is an online resource to help people find a wide range of advice and support in their local area, including:

  • Food providers and deliveries
  • Help getting medication
  • Social, financial and employment issues
  • Relationship advice and domestic abuse
  • Staying physically and mentally well

Ask Us Wirral has been set up by Citizens Advice Wirral, Age UK, Wirral Change, Mencap and Live Well to provide practical advice on:

  • Benefits
  • Housing
  • Debt
  • Employment
  • Relationships, and many more things!

You can call Ask Wirral Us helpline on 0300 33 00 111.

Advice is also available via the Wirral Council COVID-19 helpline from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0151 666 5050

Wirral Tenant Hotline

If you have any questions or concerns about how coronavirus is affecting you as a tenant, the Council has set up a new dedicated helpline, which is available from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

You can call Wirral Tenant Hotline on: 07880 063 826, 07789 947 500 or 07867 538 154. You can also contact us by email to: landlordaccreditation@wirral.gov.uk

Government Guidance

The Ministry of Communities, Housing and Local Government has also produced guidance for landlords and tenants on Covid-19 and renting along with further information on Government support for landlords and renters during the current outbreak.

Information is also available from the Department of Work and Pensions on Universal Credit and the changes government has brought in to support people who are already claiming benefits, need to claim benefits, or are at risk of losing their job as a result of coronavirus.

The following links may also be helpful:

Clinical Advice

If someone has coronavirus symptoms

If any of the occupants of your house has symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19), then all household members must stay at home and not leave the property for 14 days.

If you need clinical advice, you should go online to NHS 111 (or call 111 if you don’t have internet access). In an emergency, call 999 if you are seriously ill or injured or your life is at risk.

You must not visit the GP, pharmacy, urgent care centre or a hospital.