Making changes to your home if you are a disabled person

If you are a disabled person or elderly, making changes to your home can help you to move around it more easily.

Disabled Facility Grant

You can apply for a grant called the Disabled Facility Grant (DFG) which can be used to pay for facilities for your home. You can apply for the grant whether you rent or own your home.

Wirral Council manages applications and decides on the most appropriate scheme for you and your home. These changes are funded completely or partially by the grant and the amount of funding you receive will be based on your income.

The adaptation scheme can help you with changes including:

  • widening doors or installing ramps
  • providing a level-access shower
  • providing vertical lifts or stair lifts
  • providing washing, bathing or toilet facilities on the ground floor
  • providing access to a garden

The council will ensure that the changes are suitable for your needs, and this is done with the help of an occupational therapist (OT). 

If you require changes to your home

If you need changes to your home you can complete an assessment form below to tell us about your needs. You can use the form to tell us about any benefits you receive. This will help us to decide if you are eligible for any financial assistance.

Further information

Please read below the Interim Housing Adaptations Assistance Statement 2022, which should also be read with the Private Sector Housing and Regeneration Assistance Policy.

The PDF files below may not be suitable to view for people with disabilities, users of assistive technology or mobile phone devices.


If you receive benefits you will need to send a digital copy of your benefits letter with the form.

Apply to make changes to your home

Contact us

We are currently only receiving applications via the online form above until further notice. To request a telephone consultation, please use the email address below.

For adult cases only

To request a telephone consultation:

For child cases

Please liaise with your child’s registered occupational therapist with regards to a referral being made into the service by them, as they are specialists in classification for child cases. If your child does not already have a registered occupational therapist allocated then please seek a GP or paediatrician referral for access to an occupational therapist via a medical referral.

Updates will continue to be provided by case officers, however should you need to contact us please email

We will be regularly accessing any messages left on the 0151 691 8090 number and will respond as soon as we can. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.