Wirral Council offers financial assistance (both grants and loans) to low income homeowners. This is for emergency repair work and can include essential heating repairs and other renovations necessary to adequately maintain your property. As an owner-occupier you must be receiving Council Tax Support to be eligible for the assistance.
Grant assistance is also available to tenants who are eligible. This can only be used for essential repairs and improvements to heating installations. As a tenant you must be receiving Council Tax Support to be eligible for the assistance.
Financial assistance is initially available in the form of a grant up to £10,000 for eligible owner occupiers and £4,000 for eligible tenants and includes the associated Council admin fee of £327.82.
The maximum amount of Financial assistance that can be used to fund heating repairs or heating improvements, including the admin fee of £327.82, is £4,000.
How do I apply for financial assistance?
Make an enquiry online or via email at email@example.com. We will contact you to let you know if you are eligible for a financial assistance. If you are eligible, you will be able to make an application.
As an owner occupier, what if the repairs cost more than £10,000?
The council can offer owner-occupiers a loan that is paid back when the house is eventually sold or changes ownership. There are no monthly repayments. Loans are not available to landlords.
How much can be borrowed?
Loans for homeowners can be up to a maximum of £20,000 for major repairs or up to £10,000 for smaller scale emergency repairs. This loan assistance is in addition to the grant -funded works of up to £10,000.
What can the financial assistance be used for?
- repair of a seriously defective electrical installation
- repair of a hazardous gas appliance
- repair of severe structural problems
- work to remedy dampness considered to be a health hazard
- repair of a faulty domestic water heating appliance where older people’s or young children’s health is at risk if it is not repaired
- repair of collapsed drains
- Can also be used to improve and provide space heating including, for example:
- repair of existing central heating systems (gas, oil or electric)
- replacement of gas heating boilers which are faulty or irreparable at reasonable cost
- small works to existing systems to improve the energy efficiency, such as the installation of thermostatic radiator valves, timers and programmers, room thermostats or new radiators
- the provision of alternative heating solutions if a new central heating system is needed, and there is no gas supply to the property
How much do the loans cost?
All loans are subject to locally set fees and charges which are reviewed annually. Fees and charges may be updated during the year and the council reserves the right to amend these at any time.
In 2020-21 these are as follows:
Loans of up to £10,000 have a Council admin fee of £327.82 and this is in addition to the initial grant fee of £327.82, making a total fee of £655.64 and total assistance of up to £20,000 made up of £10,000 grant and up to £10,000 loan
Loans over £10,000 and up to £20,000 have the following fees:
- Admin fee £655.64
- Independent Financial Advisor charge £300
- Valuation fee up to £150
- Land Registry up to £29
All loans are also subject to a redemption charge when the loan is eventually paid back.
Apply for financial assistance
Please make an enquiry online to find out if you can get financial assistance. We will contact you to let you know if you are eligibile. We will explain how you can apply.