Wirral Council offers financial assistance to low income home owners. This is for emergency repair work and essential heating repairs and improvements to their houses. You must be receiving Council Tax Support to be eligible.
Financial support is also available to tenants who are eligible. This can be used for essential repairs and improvements to heating installations. Assistance is available via an interest-free loan available to their landlord.
What financial help is available?
The council can offer a loan that is paid back when the house is eventually sold or changes ownership.
There are no monthly repayments.
How much can be borrowed?
Loans can be up to a maximum of £30,000 for major repairs or, up to £10,000 for smaller scale emergency repairs. Loans for heating repair and improvements only are up to a maximum of £4,000.
What can the loans be used for?
Loans can be used for:
- repair of a seriously defective electrical installation
- repair of a hazardous gas appliance
- repair of severe structural problems
- work to remedy dampness considered to be a health hazard
- repair of a faulty domestic water heating appliance where older people’s or young children’s health is at risk if it is not repaired
- repair of collapsed drains
Loans can also be used to improve and provide space heating including, for example:
- repair of existing central heating systems (gas, oil or electric)
- replacement of gas heating boilers which are faulty or irreparable at reasonable cost
- small works to existing systems to improve the energy efficiency, such as the installation of thermostatic radiator valves, timers and programmers, room thermostats or new radiators
- the provision of alternative heating solutions if a new central heating system is needed, and there is no gas supply to the property
How much do the loans cost?
All loans are subject to locally set fees and charges which are reviewed annually. Fees and charges may be updated during the year and the council reserves the right to amend these at any time.
In 2019-20 these are as follows:
Loans up to £10,000 have an Admin fee of £318.27.
Loans over £10,000 and up to £30,000 have the following fees:
- admin fee £636.54
- IFA charge £300.00
- valuation £89.00
- Land Registry £27
All loans are also subject to a redemption charge when the loan is eventually paid back.
How do I apply for a loan?
Make an enquiry online or via email at email@example.com. We will contact you to let you know if you are eligible for a loan. If you are eligible you will be able to make an application.