Wirral Council funds Slimming World and Weight Watchers to provide free weight management support to local residents. The scheme could provide you with 12 free sessions at your local Slimming World or Weight Watchers group.
The service is available to Wirral residents who are:
- Aged 16 years and over
- Registered with a Wirral GP
- An unhealthy weight (BMI of 30+ or BMI 28 with other conditions)
- Not currently attending a slimming club and have not attended one in the last three months
You will need to be referred by a health professional at your GP practice. They will measure your height, weight and calculate your BMI and check that you meet all of the criteria.
Ask your GP or practice nurse for more information.
You can found out where your local weight loss group is here:
- Slimming World groups in Wirral
- Weight Watchers groups in Wirral
- Weight management poster for Wirral residents
Weight Management self help links
Here are some useful links and tools for ‘self help’ weight management.
There are also a wide range of free smartphone apps available to help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight including Active 10 and Best You.
If you are concerned about your child’s weight you can find some useful information on the Change 4 Life website.
Wherever you’re based across Wirral there are services, initiatives and tools that can help you and your family – regardless of age or fitness – to get and stay active.
Some great examples include:
- The Walking for Health Website (which includes a postcode search), which lists free, short walks all over the country parkrun advertises free 5km runs for all abilities, with many locations across England.
- The One You website contains a range of trusted advice about physical activity.
- NHS Choices also has a range of pages on physical activity for all ages.
- The Couch to 5K app has been designed to get people off the couch and running in just 9 weeks.
- The Active10 app which tracks the number of brisk walking minutes you complete a day.
- There's more information on eating well on the Healthy eating page for adults and children.