View the eligibility criteria for the scheme and details of supporting evidence required

Answers to commonly asked questions can be found below. If you have a question that is not answered and need further help, please contact Wirral Coronavirus Helpline on 0151 666 5050.

Find out more about COVID-19, how to stay safe and help the spread

What is the aim of the Test and Trace Support Payment?

The aim of the scheme is to help support people on a low income who will lose wages as a result of self-isolating or caring for a child or young person who is required to self-isolate.

What does the NHS Test and Trace account ID look like?

This is 8 characters and is a mix of numbers and letters and usually starts with the letter ‘Z’. (e.g. Za2c204a). It is not the same as the test reference number.

How do I obtain my NHS account ID?

Once you have received a text or email from NHS Test and Trace you will be given an 8-character code and a website link to enable you to complete the NHS Contact Tracing process. At the end of this process, you will receive an email or text message with your NHS Test and Trace Account ID.

What if I meet the criteria but I am not receiving any of the benefits listed?

If you meet all the criteria but are not in receipt of the benefits outlined (nor is a partner in the same household), you may be able to receive help from a discretionary fund. You must be on a low income, not have savings of £16,000 or more and must face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work due to self-isolating (or your child or young person's self-isolation) to be considered for a discretionary payment.

You will be asked to state your average monthly income before the period of self-isolation, together with that of any other members of your household aged 18 or over, including any partner. You will also be asked the reasons you will face financial hardship due to the self-isolation. You should include as much detail as possible about your circumstances. This will help us with the assessment.

What if I am losing more than £500 in wages? Can I receive more?

The payment of £500 is a fixed amount. This is payable as a lump sum.

How will the payment be made?

Payments will be made by bank transfer to the bank account matching the bank statement provided as part of the proof of eligibility.

What if my bank account is overdrawn?

Banks are not allowed to use any benefit to repay an overdraft. Individuals should speak to their bank and ask for a 'first right of appropriation of funds order'. If you are in this position you need to tell us on the form.

Will the payment be taxed?

These payments will be subject to income tax. They will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

Can I apply after the 42-day time limit?

There is a six-week (42 day) limit from the first day of self-isolation in which to apply. If there is a valid reason why you have not been able to apply, such as being hospitalised due to COVID throughout this period, please contact Wirral Coronavirus Helpline on 0151 666 5050.

Can I make multiple claims if asked to isolate multiple times?

An application can be made for each period of self-isolation required, but these periods cannot overlap and must be separate. All eligibility criteria must be met and supporting evidence provided.

Can I apply on someone else's behalf?

Yes, third party applications can be made. However, the £500 must be paid into a bank account in the name of the person for whom the application is being made (so, for example, if someone applied on behalf of a relative, the payment would be made into the relative’s bank account).

I'm currently furloughed and self-isolating, can I apply?

To be eligible for payment you must have been due to work when you were required to self-isolate or care for a child or young person required to self-isolate.

Some people will be furloughed but still working part-time. If they cannot do their part-time job from home while self-isolating, and will lose income as a result, they will be eligible for the scheme provided they meet the other eligibility criteria.

I am employed by a Care Home or Community Care Provider who has received Infection Control and Testing Funding from Wirral Council. Why am I not eligible for a Test and Trace Support Payment?

The Infection Control and Testing Funding paid to your employer is to be used to pay wages during an employee's period of self-isolation. The Infection Control and Testing Funding is paid to a group of Health and Social Care Employers across Wirral and can fund employee wages. 

I am quarantining after returning to the UK - can I apply for the NHS Test and Trace Support Payment?

The Test and Trace Support Payment scheme does not cover people who are self-isolating after returning to the UK from abroad.

How long will this support be in place for?

The scheme has been extended to 31 March 2022. Applications can be made for up to 42 days after the scheme ends, subject to the first day of isolation of the period being applied for.