As of Monday 28 September, legally you will need to self-isolate (stay at home) if you:

  • test positive for COVID-19
  • are identified by NHS Test and Trace as a ‘close contact’

If you are asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, and you meet the Government’s criteria, you may be entitled to £500, as part of the new Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme.

Who is eligible?

Wirral residents who have been advised by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate will be entitled to a £500 support payment if they meet all of the following requirements:

  • you comply with the NHS Test and Trace notification to self-isolate;
  • you are employed or self-employed;
  • you are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result;
  • you are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

If you are not receiving one of these benefits but are on a low income and face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work due to self-isolating, you may still be entitled under a special discretionary scheme.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for this scheme if you:

  • are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period)
  • continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate
  • can work from home during a period of self-isolation
  • were notified by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate before 28 September 2020
  • have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate
  • are furloughed from work. The payment is for people who are losing income because they are unable to work because they are self-isolating

Information you need before you apply

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • your 8-digit NHS Test and Trace reference. You must complete the contract tracing questionnaire for your reference to be valid. You will have been sent an electronic link to this by NHS Test and Trace.
  • a copy of the NHS Test and Trace notification you received after you completed the contact tracing questionnaire. This can be a photo or screenshot of any electronic communication, for example an email or text message, or a scan of any letter. It must clearly show the date you received the notification and the Test and Trace ID.
  • a copy of your latest bank statement (issued in the last two months). This can be a photo or screenshot but must clearly show the name on the account, your sort code and account number. This will be the account into which you would like the payment made in to if you are successful
  • proof of employment (if applicable) such as a recent wage slip or bank statement showing the wages being paid into your account.
  • proof of self-employment (if applicable) such as a recent business bank statement (issued in the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns
  • to consent for us to access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm your eligibility. Read the NHS Test and Trace privacy notice
  • your National Insurance number


Apply for Support Payment

If you have difficulty uploading the documents required, please contact Wirral Coronavirus Helpline on 0151 666 5050 to discuss this further.

Wirral's COVID-19 privacy notice

What happens next?

We will review your application and carry out checks across relevant Council departments, with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and NHS Test and Trace to confirm your self-isolation status. If granted a payment, we will notify Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for tax purposes.

We aim to process your application and make a decision within three working days. We will notify you by email of the outcome of your application and if awarded a payment, this should reach your bank account within two working days of our email.

Further guidance

Find out more about the NHS Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme

What if I need other support due to COVID-19?

Welfare support information support is available

If you want to find out more about the community help available in your area go to the Wirral InfoBank website

Get help if English is not your first language

'Wirral Change' supports residents who may have barriers to accessing the NHS Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme via the Helpline or online form if their first language is not English or if they have other needs.

For advice and guidance from Wirral Change: