As the days get shorter, the weather turns colder and more people socialise indoors, now is a good time to check that your business is prepared to deal with the challenges of keeping your staff and customers safe from COVID-19 and other winter illnesses like flu and norovirus:
- encourage your staff to get their jabs and get tested twice a week. Find out where to get free rapid lateral flow testing kits
- ensure your staff are not in work if they are feeling unwell and are aware of the latest testing and isolation guidance.
- review your risk assessment to make sure you are prepared for the challenges that winter will bring
- sign up for free to become a Business Champion and receive COVID-19 advice and guidance direct to your inbox
- download digital resources below which you can use on your business social media accounts
When restrictions began lifting earlier in the year, businesses were advised to carry out a risk assessment after many had been closed for months. As we head into winter, Wirral’s COVID-19 hub are advising businesses to review their risk assessments to be 'winter ready'.
Our advice to business owners is to look again at the way you are operating to ensure your business is prepared for the challenges that trading in winter will bring.
We recommend you review risk assessments because what may have worked in the spring and summer may no longer be appropriate in the colder months. Good ventilation is key to reducing the threat of COVID-19 and your risk assessment will help identify if your premises can ensure fresh air and good ventilation is maintained.
As part of your risk assessment, you must:
- identify what work activity or situations might cause transmission of COVID-19
- think about who could be at risk – this could include workers, visitors, contractors and delivery drivers
- decide how likely it is that someone could be exposed
- identify the controls needed to reduce the risk
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has shared advice on carrying out a risk assessment during the pandemic and working safely. This includes practical measures you should take, including:
- adequate ventilation
- sufficient cleaning
- good hand hygiene
Contact the COVID-19 Outbreak prevention and management team in Wirral for futher advice:
- email the COVID-19 Hub at firstname.lastname@example.org
- call the COVID-19 Helpline on 0151 666 5050
Find out how to reduce the risk of COVID-19 spreading in your workplace at GOV.UK
Images can be saved to your device and then shared on social media. Additional downloadable resources will be available on this page from 25 November.