Who will own my data once I submit it?

Wirral Borough Council.

Why do you need my information?

Wirral Council requires this information in order to assess your application so that we can:

  • ensure the business is eligible for financial support
  • confirm account validity
  • confirm your identity
  • make payments of the awards
  • send reports to Government departments
  • detect and prevent fraud and error
  • make sure public money is used correctly

What allows you to use my information?

In accordance with the following:

  • Article 6 (1) (e) General Data Protection Regulation (‘GDPR’) ‘processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.’
  • Article 9 (2) (b) GDPR provides the council with the lawful basis for processing special category (sensitive) data: ‘processing is necessary for the purposes of carrying out the obligations and exercising specific rights of the controller or of the data subject in the field of employment and social security and social protection law in so far as it is authorised by Union or Member State law or a collective agreement pursuant to the Member State law providing for appropriate safeguards for the fundamental rights and the interests of the data subject.’
  • Article 9(2)(g) GDPR “processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, on the basis of Union or Member State law which shall be proportionate to the aim pursued, respect the essence of the right to data protection and provide suitable and specific measures to safeguard the fundamental rights and the interests of the data subject.”

Who will my information be shared with?

  • Government departments and other public bodies e.g. HMRC, Department for Work and Pensions, Home Office, Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government.
  • Other council teams so they can carry out their statutory roles and support our service e.g. business rates, environmental services, legal services and housing teams

Should we pass your information to organisations relevant to the grant programme, we will ensure they meet the standards of the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 and will be covered by a legal basis allowing them to collect, use and share your personal information.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

If you are not able to provide some or all of the information, we may not be able to assess your application for the Local Restrictions Support Grant.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

Personal data will not be retained for longer than necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected. There is usually a legal reason for keeping your personal information for a set period of time. The Local Restrictions Support Grant is seven years.

How will my information be stored?

Data is stored in council IT systems. The council takes data control seriously and has internal policies and controls in place to try to ensure data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed and is not accessed except by its employees in the performance of their duties.

What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

You have the right under the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 1998 to request a copy of your information and to know what it is used for and how it has been shared. This is called the right of subject access.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please visit www.wirral.gov.uk/about-council/freedom-information-and-data-protection/data-protection-policy for more information on how to make a subject access request. 

You can make a request via any one stop shop  or via email to DPO@wirral.gov.uk or Informationmanager@wirral.gov.uk; or you can make a request by writing to:

Data Protection Officer
Wirral Borough Council
Distribution Services
5 Sandford Street
CH41 1BN

Email: DPO@wirral.gov.uk

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the council’s Data Protection Team by writing to:

Data Protection Officer
Wirral Borough Council
Distribution Services
5 Sandford Street
CH41 1BN

Email: DPO@wirral.gov.uk

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

Privacy Notice – Local Restrictions Support Grant.
The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45
Website: https://ico.org.uk/

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad?