Support to live independently

Some people need help with everyday things at home such as walking, making a drink, using the stairs or getting in and out of the bath. You may be coming home from hospital or find that you need extra support after an illness or a crisis.

If you need extra support we may be able to help you, depending on your circumstances and eligibility. Before it can be decided what support you should receive and how it should be paid for, you need to carry out a needs assessment.

Reablement support with AbleMe

AbleMe is a local service that helps people to stay independent, stay active and age well. The service offers information, advice and guidance to individuals and, where required, short-term support via home visits from trained practitioners and social care staff. AbleMe staff can help with personal care, household tasks, taking medication, avoiding falls and more.

The service can also:

  • provide special equipment to keep you safe and independent at home
  • help you connect with other services to help you
  • support the people who take care of you

To use AbleMe, you should:

  • have the potential to become more independent
  • be willing to work on a plan to get better and stick to it
  • have not received care, or been assessed as requiring long term care, in the past year
  • be 18 or older and a Wirral resident

How to access

To check if you, a family member or a person you support, are eligible for Able Me, please contact the Central Advice and Duty Team (CADT) which is part of Adult Social Services. A full assessment of health and social care needs will be carried out.

Call 0151 606 2006 or email

Short-term support

If you are eligible, there are a number of ways we can provide temporary support:

  • providing one to six weeks of support, free of charge, to help you to regain living skills and become independent at home
  • we have trained therapists and assessors who can support you to improve your abilities and do as much as you can for yourself
  • referring you onto other relevant services

At the end of the maximum six week period we will discuss any ongoing care and support needs that you may have.

What happens next?

If you need ongoing support following your temporary care, we will complete a full adult social care assessment.

You will also have a financial assessment to assess how much you will be expected to contribute towards the cost of your ongoing support.