It is a crime to drop and leave any form of litter including:
- fast food wrappers and packaging
- chewing gum
- cigarette butts and other smoking related products
- flyers left on windscreens
The council spends over £3.7m per year cleaning up after a minority of people who have no respect for the environment.
Fines for littering
From 1 July 2018 Fixed Penalty Notices of £100 will be issued to anyone caught littering in Wirral.
Please select 'Litter fines' to pay your fine.
Appealing against a littering fine
You can appeal to the council at any stage before the matter is referred to the magistrates’ court for prosecution.
Littering fines issued in Wirral
How you can help
You can help to keep your environment clean:
- keep hold of your waste until you find a litter bin - or take it home with you
- clean up immediately after your pet, if it fouls our streets or parks and either take the waste home or deposit it in a litter bin
- report an area where littering is a real problem to help our enforcement team target their efforts