Much of Wirral's contaminated land is a legacy of its industrial past. The council's priorities in dealing with current problems are:
- protection of human health
- protection of controlled waters
- protection of designated areas of special ecosystems and nature conservation
- prevention of damage to property and the historic environment
- encouragement to undertake voluntary remediation
- encouragement to reuse previously used and derelict land
Inspecting contaminated land
The council is required to inspect land in its district for contamination under part IIA of the Environmental Protection Act, 1990. The contaminated land inspection strategy, sets out how this requirement will be delivered.
There is a public register of contaminated land available. To view the public register email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment.