Why has the bill increased for 2018-19?

For 2018-19 the Wirral increase is 2.99%, in addition to a further 3% to be spent on Adult Social Care.

Find out more about the increase

Can I access my Council Tax account on line?

You can save time and effort by registering to manage your Council Tax, Business Rates and Benefits online:

  • view paperless bills and correspondence
  • view your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support details
  • landlords view Housing Benefit payments due to you
  • view your Business Rates details and how they are calculated
  • set up a Direct Debit for Council Tax or Business Rates

Sign up to manage your account online

If you don’t have access to the internet at home for web and email, our libraries and one stop shops will be able to help you access a computer.

How can I change to paperless billing?

To view your Council Tax bill online, sign up for an account and register for paperless billing.

I get paid at the end of the month, so why can’t I pay then?

If you pay by direct debit you can choose a payment date of 5th, 12th, 20th or 28th of each month.

Set up a Direct Debit for your Council Tax
You need to allow 14 days’ notice for the first payment to be taken. You are protected by the Direct Debit guarantee.

Payments by any other method are due on the 6th of each month, starting on 6 April. If you want to pay at the end of the month, we suggest that you make your first payment at the end of March. This would mean that your payment would be paid by the instalment date of 6 April.

The next payment should then be made by the end of April to cover the 6 May instalment and so on.

How can I change my Direct Debit details?

If you are a current Direct Debit payer you can change your details online.

Change your Direct Debit details

Are there any ways to reduce my Council Tax bill?

There are a number of ways your Council Tax bill may be reduced. These are depend on your circumstances or those of people who live with you.

Find out more about reducing your bill

What is the Council Tax Support scheme and how can I apply?

Council Tax Support is designed to help people on certain Department for Work and Pensions benefits, or who have low paid jobs or a low income.

You will need to apply for Council Tax Support in order to receive it.

Find out more about Council Tax Support

You must carry on paying your Council Tax while your application is being considered. If your application is successful, you will be sent a revised bill.

What happens if I don’t pay as requested?

If payment is not made as requested on your bill, a reminder notice will be sent to you. You will lose the right to pay by instalments if payment continues to be made late or not at all. A summons will be issued if any further payment is not paid as required, and this will incur costs that you are legally liable to pay.

Please note that our recovery procedures are prompt. If you are having genuine difficulty meeting your payments, please contact us as soon as possible. The sooner you get in touch, the quicker we can try to resolve your difficulties.

More information if you are struggling to pay your bill

What is the Council Tax charge for empty properties?

Full Council Tax is payable for empty properties. Properties that have been empty and unfurnished for more than two years attract a charge of 150%, regardless of any change in ownership. This is called a Long Term Premium Charge.

Exemptions may be applicable for some unoccupied properties.

Find out more about exemptions

How do I report a Change in circumstances?

You must tell us about any changes that would affect the amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

You can report the following changes online:

  • change of name
  • change of address
  • change of billing address
  • changes to the people who live with you which may affect your entitlement to a discount or exemption, including when a child has turned 18
  • change in property ownership

Tell us about a change in your circumstances

I am a landlord or owner. Do I need to tell you if a property I own becomes tenanted?

Yes, you will need to tell us:

  • whether the property is rented furnished or unfurnished
  • the names of all tenants moving into or out of the property
  • the dates for each tenancy
  • their previous and forwarding addresses and contact number (if unknown we may need to request proof of their tenancy if we are not able to confirm residency)
  • whether there is more than one tenant, and if so, whether they hold a joint or separate tenancy

Can I pay over 12 instalments?

You can make a request to pay your Council Tax in 12 monthly payments or change from 12 to 10 instalments.

Make a request to pay in instalments

If you do this after your bill has been issued, your instalments will be equally divided by the number of whole months left in the financial year (1 April to 31 March). A new notice will be issued with revised instalments.