Celebrating the King’s coronation


The coronation of His Majesty King Charles III will take place on Saturday 6 May 2023. It will be at Westminster Abbey in London. During the ceremony, the King will be crowned alongside Her Majesty The Queen Consort. 

Across the country events will be taking place to mark this historic occasion.

On this page you’ll find all you need to know about the national events and how to plan an event of your own.

What do I need to do if I want to organise an event for the coronation?

View guidance on how to organise a street party

If you are not looking to organise a street party, you could set up a ‘Street Meet.’ This is an even easier way to bring neighbours together.

If you are planning a street party, you will need to apply for a temporary road closure. Wirral Council has waived the normal fee for road closure applications. This so people can plan street parties to celebrate the coronation.

Temporary road closure application form (PDF) 409Kb

All applications must be received by Friday 7th April 2023.

If you plan to sell alcohol, provide entertainment or set a charge to raise money, you will need a temporary events notice. Apply by 7 April 2023.

You can share details of your event on the national coronation event map.

Things to consider if you are holding a street party


The council normally requires organisers to have Public Liability Insurance. For the King's coronation celebrations this will not be required. Although not compulsory, Public Liability Insurance is recommended. This is to cover organisers if an accident occurs. The costs can always be split between residents.

The Eden Project Communities website provides useful information about insurance for community events.

Managing the risks

A risk assessment is not normally needed. Consider and minimise any risks to people, equipment, or the road. Think about how you can minimise things going wrong and have a back-up plan. This will help to make your day a success. 

For example:

  • what would you do if there was bad weather?
  • have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque?
  • is there adult supervision at all times when using any play equipment? 

Download a sample risk assessment template from the Eden Project Communities website


Licenses are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not need a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need a Temporary Event Notice.


As a private party, you do not need a licence to serve food. The Food Standards Agency website gives tips on good food hygiene when preparing and serving food for your community. 


You do not need a licence if:

  • your street party is a private party for residents
  • the music is not advertised in advance to attract people
  • you're not making money

Make sure the music is not too loud, long or late to avoid causing nuisance to others.

Cleaning up afterwards

You will need to clean up after your street party. It's your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

What roads in Wirral will be closed for Street Parties?

We’ll update this page to keep you updated on temporary road closures.

Official plans for the weekend

The official coronation website has information about the celebrations and events on 6 – 8 May 2023. 

The coronation Big Lunch on 7 May

This will encourage communities to come together. The idea is to celebrate their connections and get to know each other better. It will bring the coronation festivities into the heart of every community. More detail on getting involved is available on the coronation Big Lunch website

The Big Help Out, on 8 May

This will provide an opportunity to reflect on the legacy of His Majesty’s service. It will showcase the impact of volunteering within communities. People across the UK will be able to get involved and more detail is available on The Big Help Out website.