In the event of any major accident, such as a chemical spill, explosion or release of hazardous materials, you may be instructed to either stay indoors or evacuate your premises. If you live near an industrial site you should be told if there are special emergency arrangements for your area. You should:

  • go inside and stay inside
  • close all doors and windows
  • extinguish all naked flames, e.g. pilot lights
  • switch off gas supplies
  • put away or cover all fresh food
  • have emergency provisions ready
  • keep telephone lines free for emergency use only
  • tune into local radio for updates