Who is the Data Controller for the information I provide?

Wirral Council is the Data Controller for the personal information you provide.

Our Address is;
Wirral Council
PO Box 290
Brighton Street
CH27 9FQ

Issues of how data is handled are dealt with by the Council's Data Protection Officer Jane Corrin who can be contacted by email at DPO@wirral.gov.uk

Why do we need your information?

Wirral Council as data controller processes invoices on behalf of the Council, Wirral Schools.

We collect your information in order to pay you for goods or services you have provided to these organisations.

What legal basis allows us to use your information?

The lawful basis for processing your data is:

Public Task: The processing is necessary for the Council to perform a task in the public interest or for its official functions and complies with the Public Contracts Regulation 2015.

Why you need to provide this information

The information is collected and held to make sure that you are paid for goods and services provided.

Who we will share your information with?

We may share your information with others where it is necessary to comply with legal or statutory obligations or for the prevention of fraud or crime.

These organisations include:

  • relevant council departments
  • HMRC
  • National Fraud Initiative

Retention of your data

We will only hold your information for as long as it is required and in line with our retention policy.

How will my information be stored?

Information will be stored and processed through a secure electronic payment system.

How do we protect your data?

Wirral Council has strict systems and policies in place to prevent the loss, accidental destruction, misuse or disclosure of your data.

Only those staff entitled to see your data to perform their duties has access to this information. The council takes security measures such as, but not limited to:

Logical Security Control

  • encryption
  • anonymisation
  • partitioning
  • paper document security

Physical Security Control

  • managing workstations
  • website security
  • backups
  • network security
  • physical access control
  • monitoring network activity
  • hardware security

Organisational Control

  • monitoring committee
  • policies
  • managing privacy risks
  • integrating privacy protection in projects (PIA)

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?

No we will not transfer your information abroad.

What rights do you have when it comes to my data?

Under data protection legislation you have the right to request access to the information that we hold about you. You also have the right to:

  • ask us to change any information we hold on you that you believe is incorrect
  • ask us to limit what we use your information for, however this right does not apply in some circumstances
  • object to the processing of your personal data
  • Right of Access - you have the right under the Data Protection Act 2018. This is called the right of access. To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used please email informationmanager@wirral.gov.uk

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

Informal resolution

In the first instance we would ask that you try and resolve data handling issues directly with the Corporate Payments team – email cpt@wirral.gov.uk

Formal resolution

If you are dissatisfied with the informal resolution of your complaint you can request a review by the Data Protection Officer, Jane Corrin, by email DPO@wirral.gov.uk

If you remain dissatisfied following an internal complaint, you can lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Changes to our Privacy Notice

We regularly review our privacy notice and suggest you check for any changes from time to time. This notice was last reviewed in September 2020.