You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales. The permit you require depends on the specific processes involved and the resulting emissions.

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations


Environmental activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts. Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

Permits are available from the Environment Agency or the local authority depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency


A fee may be payable. View a list of current fees.


To apply for an environmental permit please contact Environmental Health:

Further guidance on environmental problems.


Applications must be completed by the operator of the regulated facility. For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

Processing and timescales

We will contact you within 10 days of receipt of your application to confirm that your application has been ‘duly made’. The council then has up to 4 months (for part B applications) to consider your application. This is 3 months for dry cleaners and small waste oil burners.  

We will consider your application in regard to efforts taken to protect the environment, either by preventing or reducing emissions.

Successful applications will then appear on the public register together with a copy of the permit.

Please note that we hold the right to inform the public of your application and must consider any representations made. 


Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010

Failed applications and appeals

Failed applicants may appeal to the Secretary of State, no later than six months from the date of the decision. 

If an application to vary, transfer or surrender is refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the appropriate authority.

Appeals in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice must be logged no later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

Report a problem

Report a concern about:

  • an application
  • an issued licence
  • practices at a regulated premises

report a concern