A licence is required to operate a boarding establishment for animals.
The following criteria will be considered when the application is being processed:
- that the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. This includes the construction size of the accommodation, the number of animals, exercise facilities, cleanliness, temperature, lighting and ventilation.
- that suitable food, drink and bedding will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- that steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- that adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
- that a register is kept containing a description of all animals, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner.
If you require further advice, contact Environmental Health at [email protected]
|Boarding Establishment Act||Cost (excluding vet fees)|
|1 to 10 enclosures||£155.00|
|11 to 50 enclosures||£178.00|
|51 to 100 enclosures||£205.00|
|101 to 150 enclosures||£235.00|
|151 to 200 enclosures||£270.00|
|over 200 enclosures||£310.00|
|Dog Creche application and thereafter annual renewal fee||Cost (excluding vet fees)|
|1 to 10 dogs||£155.00|
|11 to 50 dogs||£178.00|
|51 to 100 dogs||£205.00|
|over 100 dogs||£235.00|
|Dog Home Boarding application and thereafter annual renewal fee||Cost (excluding vet fees)|
|1 to 5 dogs||£155.00|
|6 to 10 dogs||£178.00|
|11 to 15 dogs||£205.00|
|over 16 dogs||£235.00|
To apply to run an animal boarding establishment or change or renew an existing licence, contact Environmental Health.
Processing and timescales
Once your application has been received with the correct fee, we will aim to visit your premises with a local vet within 14 days.
Failed applications and appeals
Failed applicants should contact Environmental Health in the first instance.
Appeals against a failed application or conditions attached to a licence can be made to the local magistrates’ court.
Report a problem
Report a concern about practices at a registered establishment.