Any vehicle used as a private hire vehicle in Wirral must first be licensed by Wirral Council.
Private hire vehicles can be a saloon car or a multi-purpose vehicle which carries a maximum of 8 passengers.
Vehicles must be pre-booked through an operator licensed by Wirral Council and driven by a private hire driver also licensed by Wirral Council.
All vehicles must pass a compliance test and MOT test at one of our authorised testing stations. Vehicles must meet the private hire vehicle criteria in order to pass the compliance test.
Once completed please contact the licensing office on 0151 691 8043 to make an appointment.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- V5C in applicants name, V5C section 10 (new keeper details) or purchase invoice from a dealership
- Compliance pass certificate (no more than 28 days old)
- MOT certificate (no more than 28 days old)
- Current insurance certificate / cover note
- proof of address for each applicant / limited company. This must be either a utility bill, bank/credit card/benefit/council tax statement or central/local government document which is no more than 3 months old
- Correct licence fee - payble by credit/debit card, cheque, postal order
Processing and timescales
It is possible to obtain a vehicle licence within 24 hours, if all of the requirements are met.
Contact the licensing office on 0151 691 8043 if you require further information.