Any person who wishes to work as a private hire driver is required by law to hold a licence, issued by Wirral Council.
The criteria for determining applications is included in the policy for licensing of Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Drivers.
All applicants should read this policy before submitting an application.
To apply please send a request for an application pack to email@example.com with your full name and postal address.
We will send you an application pack which includes a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application form and further guidance on the application process. Once completed please contact the licensing office on 0151 691 8043 to make an appointment to submit your application
You must bring the following to your pre-booked appointment:
- a completed application form
- a completed DBS form
- EU passport or full UK birth certificate, or non EU passport with valid residence or work permit
- Proof of address. This must be either a utility bill, bank or credit card, benefit or council tax statement or central or local government document which is no more than 3 months old
- DVLA driving licence (photocard or paper driving licence)
- DVLA check code (the DVLA website provides guidance on how to general your code)
- application fee (debit or credit card, cheque, postal order - no cash payments)
Before a licence is granted, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- satisfactory enhanced certificate DBS
- satisfactory medical certificate
- satisfactory driving licence
- knowledge test pass
- safeguarding training
- Vocationally Recognised Qualification (VRQ)
Processing and timescales
The process will take several weeks as it involves completing a number of forms and checks.
Contact the licensing office on 0151 691 8043 if you require further information.