Any person who wishes to work as a Hackney carriage driver is required by law to hold a licence, issued by Wirral Council.
The criteria for determining applications is included in the policy for licensing of Hackney carriage and private hire drivers.
All applicants should read this policy before submitting an application.
To apply please send a request for an application pack to [email protected] with your full name and postal address.
We will send you an application form and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) form. Once completed please contact the Licensing Team on 0151 691 8043 to make an appointment.
You must bring the following to your pre-booked appointment:
- a completed application form
- a completed DBS form
- EU passport or full UK birth certificate, or non EU passport with valid residence/work permit
- Proof of address. This must be either a utility bill, bank/credit card/benefit/council tax statement or central/local government document which is no more than 3 months old
- DVLA driving licence (photocard or paper driving licence)
- DVLA check code (The DVLA website provides guidance on how to generate your code)
- application fee (debit/credit card, cheque, postal order - no cash payments)
Before a licence is granted, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- satisfactory enhanced certificate DBS
- satisfactory medical certificate
- satisfactory driving licence
- knowledge test pass
- Vocationally Recognised Qualification (VRQ)
Advice regarding the application process and criteria can be provided at your initial appointment.
Processing and timescales
The process will take several weeks as it involves completing a number of forms and checks.
Policy relating to the conduct of Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Licence Holders
How do I report a problem?