Wirral Council are responsible for enforcing health and safety regulations to make sure workplaces are safe for all employees and visitors.

This includes:

  • offices (except government offices)
  • shops
  • hotels
  • restaurants
  • leisure (non-council operated premises)
  • nurseries and playgroups
  • pubs and clubs
  • museums (privately owned)
  • places of worship
  • sheltered accommodation and care homes

How do we make sure workplaces are safe?

  • carry out inspections to make sure that risks are effectively managed
  • investigate accidents, dangerous occurrences and occupational ill-health
  • investigate complaints about working conditions or work practices
  • provide guidance and advice to businesses and members of the public

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE)  are responsible for enforcing regulations at:

  • factories
  • farms
  • building sites
  • mines
  • schools and colleges
  • fairgrounds
  • gas, electricity and water systems
  • hospitals and nursing homes
  • central and local government premises
  • offshore installations

Other enforcing authorities

You can find out more about other enforcing authorities from the Health and Safety Executive.

Health and safety standards

 You must ensure that your business meets the necessary health and safety standards and procedures.

Health and safety reports and complaints

Information on what type of accident, injury or dangerous occurrence you need to report by law

Report a specified Incident (accident, injury or dangerous occurrence)

If the specified incident occurred at premises enforced by the local authority, the HSE will automatically forward your report to us. You do not need to make a separate report.

For general concerns (not a specified incident) about premises enforced by the Local Authority, please complete the form below.

You can complain to Wirral’s health and safety team.

Find out how to complain about regulatory advice