Arranging a civil marriage
Civil marriages can take place at a number of venues in Wirral:
Booking a marriage date
- Call the Register Office on 0151 666 3684 to book a provisional marriage date. Dates are available up to two years in advance.
- There is a £35 non-refundable booking fee that must be paid at the time of booking. This can be paid over the phone by credit or debit card or in person at the Register Office.
- Your provisional booking will be held for three months.
- Once both partners have given their notice of marriage this will be used to confirm the booking.
Giving notice of a marriage
Each partner must personally give a notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar. You should give notice in the district in which you have lived for at least 8 days prior to giving notice, even if you are marrying in another district.
If you live in Wirral, call the Register Office on 0151 606 2020 to make an appointment.
You can give your notice a minimum of 28 days before the date of marriage and a maximum of 12 months before. The notice is only valid for the venue specified. If this changes you would need to give, and pay for, new notices.
If you are having a Church of England wedding you do not need to give notice to us. You should contact the vicar of the church for advice on legal requirements.
Cost for giving Notice of Marriage
£35 per person (£70 per couple).
Information you will need to provide
When you give your notice of marriage you will need to provide a number of documents:
- A passport (or a birth certificate if a passport is not available)
- If you were born after 1 January 1983 and you are providing a birth certificate you must also provide your mother’s birth certificate
- Proof of address (a recent Council Tax bill, utility bill, bank statement or a driving licence dated no more than three months from the date of notice)
- If either party has been in a marriage or civil partnership previously, you will need to provide evidence of the dissolution (a certified copy of the decree absolute)
- If either party is widowed, you will need to produce a certified copy of the death certificate
- Special rules apply if one or both partners are subject to Immigration Control
If you or your partner has a terminal illness it is possible to get a licence to marry or form a civil partnership very quickly without having to give the usual statutory notices.
Call 0151 606 2020 for more information.
Accommodation in Wirral
Wirral offers a range of quality accommodation to suit all budgets. Find out more and book your accommodation at Visitwirral.